Good day to you!!
Are you ready to learn some fun facts about Georgia?
Joey loves learning facts about the different states. He would like to share some of those cool facts with you! I will be posting facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Florida. This week we are posting cool facts about Georgia.
Did you know that Georgia was the 4th state to join the union? Yes, that is correct. Georgia officially joined the union on January 2, 1788! Georgia is located on the Southeastern part of the United States. The Atlantic Ocean borders Georgia on the east. Georgia is bordered by five (5) states: Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Alabama. Georgia is the twenty-second (22nd) largest state in the United States. Georgia is a big state. There are about 10,711,000 people living in Georgia.
Share a cool fun fact about the state you reside in?
Facts about Georgia:
1. A few things Georgia is known for are the array of different climates, beaches, and peaches. The nicknames for the state of Georgia are: The Peach State, The Goober State, and The Empire State. The Peach State is Georgia’s official nickname. The Georgia state motto is Wisdom, Justice, and Moderation. The abbreviation for Georgia is GA.
2. The capital of Georgia is Atlanta. Atlanta officially became the capital of Georgia in 1868. Atlanta has a population of around 498,700 people.
3. The Georgia state bird is the Brown Thrasher. The Brown Thrasher was chosen as the state bird on April 6, 1935. The Georgia Brown Thrasher has brownish colored feathers. The Georgia Brown Thrasher has an off-white creamy color on its chest and underneath area with streaks of dark brown.
4. The Georgia official state flower is the Rosa laevigata also known as the Cherokee rose. The Georgia Rosa laevigata is a type of climbing rose shrub. The flower which is white grows on vines and the vines can climb very high unless it is kept trimmed. The Rasa laevigata starts blooming in spring/summer. They are very beautiful flowers/roses!! The Georgia Rosa laevigata became Georgia ’s official state flower on August 18, 1916.
5. The first flag Georgia used was on October 17, 1879. There may have been one before 1879. The Georgia state flag that is used today became the official flag on May 8, 2003. The flag has changed many times over the years.
6. Some crops that are grown in Georgia are: blueberries, corn, cotton, hay, peaches, peanuts, pecans, and wheat.
7. A few places to visit in Georgia are: the Chattahoochee National Forest, Dinotorium located in Stone Mountain Park, and the Arabia Mountain. If you love beaches Georgia has many of them! Here is a list of some of them:
Jekyll Island beach
Tybee Island beach
Sea Island beach
Cumberland National Seashore
St. Andrew beach
8. Some of the animals that live in Georgia are alligators, armadillos, bears, chipmunks, foxes, white tailed deer, and wild boar.
9. Georgia can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Georgia was 112 degrees Fahrenheit in Louisville, Georgia on July 24, 1952. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Georgia was -17 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees below zero) in Georgia was on January 27, 1940.
Share a fact about Georgia with us?
Get your free printable Georgia worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Georgia:
1. I'm Reading About Georgia by Carole Marsh
2. Night-Night Georgia by Katherine Sully
3. P is for Peach: A Georgia Alphabet by Carol Cane
4. The Kids' Guide to Birds of Georgia by Stan Tekiela
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some fun facts about Hawaii! Thank you for reading my post!! "Don't have a good day; have a GREAT day!" -Free Guy the movie.
Check out my free printable coloring pages and worksheets! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my Grandson Joey’s YouTube channel
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
I’m the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. All four of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO