Good day to you!!
Are you ready to learn some cool facts?
Have you heard of the cuckoo bird before? Cuckoos are a medium sized bird. Cuckoo birds are where the cuckoo clock got its name from. Have you ever seen or heard of a cuckoo clock before? A Cuckoo clock has a Cuckoo bird that comes out of its little house at the top of the clock every hour and makes a Cuckoo singing/chirping sound.
What is your favorite type of bird?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you can click on the links below to see Cuckoo birds and Cuckoo clocks.
You can see Cuckoo clocks here: Click here
You can see Cuckoo birds here: Click here
Facts about Cuckoo birds:
1. There are over 125 species of birds in the Cuckoo bird family. Roadrunner birds are part of the Cuckoo bird family. The different species of cuckoo birds can be found living in different places all around the world except for Antarctica. Here is a list of some of the Cuckoo birds:
- Lesser ground
- Little bronze
- Yellow billed
2. Most cuckoo birds are insectivores. Cuckoo birds eat mainly insects. They love to eat hairy caterpillars!
3. The channel billed cuckoo bird is one of the largest of the cuckoo birds. It can weigh as much as two (2lbs.) pounds, sometimes more or less. It can be up to 27 inches long, sometimes more or less.
4. The little bronze cuckoo bird is one of the smallest of the cuckoo birds. It can weigh as much as a ½ ounce, sometimes more or less. It can be up to six (6in.) inches long, sometimes more or less.
5. Some of the cuckoo birds such as the common cuckoo bird lay their own eggs in other bird’s nests so they do not have to take care of their eggs. Common cuckoo birds are known as Brood parasites. Brood parasite means that they rely on other birds to take care of their eggs and raise their baby birds.
6. A group of cuckoo birds are called an asylum of cuckoos or a family of cuckoos.
7. Cuckoo birds are migratory birds. They migrate/fly to warmer areas during the cold season.
8. The Cuckoo bird makes a sound like coo-coo, coo-coo just like the sound from a cuckoo clock!
Share a cool fact about Cuckoo birds with us?
Get your free cuckoo bird printable ABC worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Cuckoo birds:
1. The Cuckoo Bird by Judy Corbalis
2. The Cuckoo Bird by Carol Krueger
3. The Cuckoos (Bird Families of the World) by Robert B. Payne
4. Cuckoos of the World by Johannes Erritzoe
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
There once was a Cuckoo bird named Coo-coo. Coo-coo loved to fly from tree to tree. Coo-coo would fly down to the ground to search for food. Coo-coo’s favorite food to eat was very hairy caterpillars. Sometimes it was hard to find the caterpillars but that did not stop Coo-coo from searching for those hairy caterpillars to eat. Coo-coo would search for hours and hours for just one of those hairy caterpillars. Some days Coo-coo would find lots of hairy caterpillars and some days Coo-coo would only find one or two. By the end of the day Coo-coo was so tired from searching for those hairy little caterpillars to eat that Coo-coo would sleep peacefully in its nest. Coo-coo would wake up well rested and ready to search for more hairy caterpillars to eat. THE END!
Thank you for reading my post!! “Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.”-Dalai Lama
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out! They are free. I have some awesome coloring pages and worksheets that you can print out! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Hi!! I'm Mimi, the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. I love reading and writing. I homeschool my two youngest children. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. She started illustrating the series when she was 14 years old. She loves to draw. She is learning as she goes. Her dream is to one day be a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. All five of the books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million. Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the story is super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books!
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare.
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before!
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear.
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo.
5. Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Harry and Holly Jingles introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. This book is interactive.