Happy Monday!! May your day be filled with learning new things! You are never too old to learn something new.
Joey wants to tell you a little about the Christmas tree and where it originated from. Did you know that evergreens have been used to celebrate the winter season long before Christ was born? In the Bible Jeremiah 10:1-5 states about decorating a tree. The modern day Christmas tree started in Germany around 1531. The tree was an evergreen tree known as a paradise tree. The trees were decorated with apples to celebrate the Garden of Eden.
Facts about the Christmas tree:
1. The Roman Empire is one of the first people to celebrate Christmas. Although it was not called Christmas it was actually called Saturnalia. The Romans would decorate trees and have a big feast in honor of the God of Saturn. The celebration of Christmas by the ancient Romans started around 336.
2. There are over 15 different types of trees people use to decorate for Christmas. There are Pine trees, Fir trees, Cypress trees, and Spruce trees. People have even used Cherry trees as Christmas trees.
3. In 1882 Edward Johnson who was Thomas Edison’s friend invented the first electric lights on a string for the Christmas tree.
4. In the 1900’s people that worked in large department stores started decorating Christmas trees for the holiday season.
5. In 1923 President Calvin Coolidge was the first president to light up the first National White House Christmas Tree with electric lights on it. The bulbs were red, white, and green and there were 2500 bulbs on the strand of electric lights that decorated the Christmas tree.
6. Germany was one of the first to develop an artificial Christmas tree in the 19th Century. The trees were made by using goose feathers that were dyed green. They made the artificial Christmas trees to help stop the depletion of evergreen forests.
7. Christmas trees are grown and harvested in all 50 states in the United States. Oregon grows and harvests the most Christmas trees. Christmas trees have been sold commercially since around 1850 in the United States. Canada exports over 2 million Christmas trees a year.
8. The world’s tallest fresh cut Christmas tree is in Enid Oklahoma this year (2021). The Christmas tree is 140 feet tall. It has 18,000 lights and about 10,000 ornaments on it. After the holiday season is over the tree will be donated to habitat for Humanity!
Can you share a Christmas tree fact with us?
Books about Christmas trees:
1. A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree by Colleen Monroe
2. The Biggest Christmas Tree Ever by Steven Kroll
3. The Legend of the Christmas Tree by Pat Matuszak
4. Celebrate Christmas Around the World by Beth
Parents make sure all books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page