It is time to learn something cool today!
Have you heard of the famous painter Pablo Picasso? Well guess what? There is a beautiful insect called the Picasso moth. It is so beautiful it looks like Pablo Picasso painted the moth himself. The Picasso moth’s scientific name is Baorissa hieroglyphica. Some moths are just as beautiful as butterflies are. The Baorissa hieroglyphica is one of those beautiful moths. It is so beautiful it looks like a painter painted beautiful brush strokes of color on it. With your parent/caretaker’s permission google Baorissa hieroglyphica and see how beautiful the moths are.
What is the strangest insect you have ever seen?
Facts about the Picasso Moth:
1. The Picasso moth can be found living in Northeast India and Southeast Asia.
2. There are over 155,000 different species of moths living all over the world. Here is a list of some of those moths in alphabetical order:
· Atlas moth
· Common clothes moth
· Domestic silk moth
· Japanese silk moth
· Luna moth
· Lymantria dispar moth
· Picasso moth
· Polyphemus moth
· Scarlet tiger moth
· Yellow woolly bear moth
3. The Picasso moth is a nocturnal insect. They are usually most active during the night and rest during the day. They do almost all of their traveling during the night time hours.
4. The Picasso moth feeds mostly on the nectar from different plants. They are herbivores. Picasso moths are pollinators too. A pollinator can be any insect that carries pollen from one flower/plant to another.
5. The Picasso moth has four wings. The two top wings are called the forewings and the bottom two wings are called the hindwings. When the Picasso moth has its wings folded up it sort of resembles the shape of an isosceles triangle.
6. You can buy a Picasso moth sculpture on Etsy. They are very well-done replicas of the beautiful Picasso moth.
7. The Baorisa hieroglyphica (Picasso moth) was described in a catalog of Asian butterflies and moths that was made by a British entomologist named Frederic Moore in 1882.
Share a cool fact about moths with us?
Get your free printable Picasso moth worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Picasso moths:
1. Moth An Evolution Story by Isabel Thomas
2. Moths: A Complete Guide to Biology and Behavior by David Lees
3. The Lives of Moths: A Natural History of Our Planet's Moth Life by Andrei Sourakov
4. Smithsonian Handbooks: BUTTERFLIES AND MOTHS by David J. Carter
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!! Don’t forget that "One small positive thought can change your whole day."-Zig Ziglar
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.