Happy Thankful Thursday!!
May your day be filled with thankfulness, love, and kindness!
We are on letter Oo of the gratitude alphabet! O is for Owl.
What are you thankful for that begins with the letter O?
Jinger is thankful for owls. Owl begins with the letter O. Did you know that there are over 200 species of owls in the world? Owls can turn their heads while rotating their neck 270 degrees without injuring themselves. Owls can even turn their heads upside down.
Facts about Owls:
1. Owls have big fixed eyes. They can’t move their eyes in the sockets. They have 3 eyelids. Owls are farsighted which means they can’t see things that are near to them, and they have binocular vision. Owls also have amazing night vision. Owls are capable of seeing about a mile away from themselves. Owls are nocturnal.
2. Owls are carnivores. They eat small to medium sized animals, insects, and fish.
3. A group of owls is called a parliament. Adult owls are referred to as either male or female owls. A baby owl is called an owlet. Female owls are usually bigger than the male owls.
4. The smallest owl in the world is called the Elf Owl. An Elf owl weighs around 1.5 ounces. It is around 5 and a half inches tall.
5. The Bubo blakistoni owl also known as the Blakiston's fish owl is the largest owl in the world. It can weigh up to ten pounds and be as tall as 28 inches. The Blakiston’s fish owl is also one the rarest owls in the world.
6. Owls have a total of four talons on each foot. Three of the talons point to the front and one points to the back. One of the three front talons can also rotate and point to the back.
7. Most owls sleep (roost) on branches in trees. They can also sleep in hollow trees, vacant buildings, and well hidden spots. Owls sleep around 10 to 12 hours a day.
8. Owls make sounds in order to communicate with other owls. Not all owls hoot. Some owls can screech, caw, whistle, chirp, scream, or growl.
What is your favorite type of owl?
Books about owls:
1. Owls (Amazing Animals) by Valerie Bodden
2. Owl Kids Coloring Book by Jackie Fluffy
3. A Little Owl on a Big Adventure by Carol Finkelstein
4. The Barn Owls by Tony Johnston
Parents be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Get your Owl coloring/worksheet here:
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
Post a Comment