May your day be totally terrific!!
Today is trivia Tuesday!! Are you ready to learn about something cool today? Today Joey wants to tell you about the Dragon Blood Tree! But, first see if you can answer the trivia question.
Where do Dragon Blood trees originate from?
A.) North America
Dragon Blood trees also known as the Socotra dragon tree are big beautiful trees that sort of resemble an umbrella, but much bigger!! The umbrella shape of the tree helps protect the tree’s roots from the hot sun and it also helps to keep the sun from evaporating all of the water! Dragon Blood trees can grow to about 32 feet tall some say it grows to about 39 feet tall. That is very tall!! They are in the evergreen family. The Dragon Blood tree is native only to the island of Socotra, Yemen. Could you imagine standing under one of these trees? How cool would that be?
What is your favorite type of tree?
Facts about the Dragon Blood tree:
1. Dragon Blood trees can live up to 600 years! That is a lot of years! The Dragon Blood tree grows very slow. It takes about 10 years for the tree to grow about 3 feet. So, in 100 years the tree would be around 30 feet! I guess the tree stops growing taller once it reaches around 30 to 39 feet tall?
2. The Dragon Blood tree got its name from the sap that comes from this tree when it is cut. It has a red color sap/resin that resembles blood. The sap/resin from this tree was used as medicine in the ancient times. They even use the sap/resin from the tree to dye wood. Some wood on violins have been dyed with the Dragon Blood trees sap/resin.
3. The leaves and berries of the Dragon Blood tree are used as feed for animals. They also use the leaves to make ropes. The Dragon Blood tree produces small white or green colored flowers which grow in bunches and bloom in February. The flowers are small and fragrant. The fruit from the Dragon Blood tree is a berry and usually has one (1) to three (3) seeds in it. The fruit takes about 5 months to become ripe. When the berry is ripe it is orangish red in color and it is usually eaten by birds and other livestock.
4. The Dragon Blood trees grow in the woodlands of the Socotra Island in Yemen. They are found mostly growing on limestone plateaus.
Can you share a fact about Dragon Blood trees with us?
Books about Dragon Blood trees:
1. Dragon's Blood Trees Bleed! by Janey Levy
2. Strange Trees: And the Stories Behind Them by Bernadette Pourquie
3. Dracaena Draco, Dragon's Blood Tree by Walter Fitch Hood
4. Socotra (Bradt Travel Guide) by Hilary Bradt
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!