It is time to learn something cool today!
Have you heard of the famous painter Pablo Picasso? Well guess what? There is a beautiful insect called the Picasso moth. It is so beautiful it looks like Pablo Picasso painted the moth himself. The Picasso moth’s scientific name is Baorissa hieroglyphica. Some moths are just as beautiful as butterflies are. The Baorissa hieroglyphica is one of those beautiful moths. It is so beautiful it looks like a painter painted beautiful brush strokes of color on it. With your parent/caretaker’s permission google Baorissa hieroglyphica and see how beautiful the moths are.
What is the strangest insect you have ever seen?
Facts about the Picasso Moth:
1. The Picasso moth can be found living in Northeast India and Southeast Asia.
2. There are over 155,000 different species of moths living all over the world. Here is a list of some of those moths in alphabetical order:
· Atlas moth
· Common clothes moth
· Domestic silk moth
· Japanese silk moth
· Luna moth
· Lymantria dispar moth
· Picasso moth
· Polyphemus moth
· Scarlet tiger moth
· Yellow woolly bear moth
3. The Picasso moth is a nocturnal insect. They are usually most active during the night and rest during the day. They do almost all of their traveling during the night time hours.
4. The Picasso moth feeds mostly on the nectar from different plants. They are herbivores. Picasso moths are pollinators too. A pollinator can be any insect that carries pollen from one flower/plant to another.
5. The Picasso moth has four wings. The two top wings are called the forewings and the bottom two wings are called the hindwings. When the Picasso moth has its wings folded up it sort of resembles the shape of an isosceles triangle.
6. You can buy a Picasso moth sculpture on Etsy. They are very well-done replicas of the beautiful Picasso moth.
7. The Baorisa hieroglyphica (Picasso moth) was described in a catalog of Asian butterflies and moths that was made by a British entomologist named Frederic Moore in 1882.
Share a cool fact about moths with us?
Get your free printable Picasso moth worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Picasso moths:
1. Moth An Evolution Story by Isabel Thomas
2. Moths: A Complete Guide to Biology and Behavior by David Lees
3. The Lives of Moths: A Natural History of Our Planet's Moth Life by Andrei Sourakov
4. Smithsonian Handbooks: BUTTERFLIES AND MOTHS by David J. Carter
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!! Don’t forget that "One small positive thought can change your whole day."-Zig Ziglar
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out! They are free. I have some awesome coloring pages and worksheets that you can print out! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
I’m the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. All four of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million. Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the story is super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books!
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO