May you learn something cool today!
Have you ever visited Maine before? Maybe you already live there? Whichever it may be you can discover some cool facts about Maine here! Joey loves learning cool facts about all of the different states. He would like me to share some of those fun cool facts with you! Every Thursday I will be posting cool facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Louisiana. This week we are posting cool facts about Maine.
Did you know that Maine was the twenty-third (23rd) state to join the union? Yes, that is correct! Maine officially joined the union on March 15, 1820! Maine is located in the Northeastern region of the United States. Maine is bordered by only one (1) state: New Hampshire. Maine is also bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick and Quebec. Maine is the thirty-ninth (39th) largest state in the United States. Maine is small a state. There are about 1,372,247 people that live in Maine.
Maine famous person alert:
Did you know that Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine? Stephen King is a famous book author. Stephen King has over 60 published novels. Some of his novels have been turned into movies.
Tell us about a famous person that resides in your state?
Facts about Maine:
1. A few things Maine is known for are: Lobster, light houses, and its rocky coastlines. A few of the nicknames for the state of Maine are: the Pine Tree State, the Polar Star State, and the Lumber State. The Maine state motto is Dirigo. Dirigo is Latin for I direct or I lead. The Maine state motto was adopted sometime in 1820. The abbreviation for Maine is ME.
2. The capital of Maine is Augusta. Augusta officially became the capital of Maine sometime in 1827. Augusta has an estimated population of about 18,662 people.
3. The state bird of Maine is the Black-capped chickadee. The Black-capped chickadee was chosen as the state bird for Maine on April 6, 1927. The Maine Black-capped chickadee has a black capped head. It has gray, black, and white coloring. It has a white underneath area. Its wings are gray and white. The Black-capped chickadee is a cute tiny bird.
4. The Maine official state flower is the White Pine Cone. The White Pine Cone is actually not a flower. Maine is the only state that does not have a flower it’s state flower, instead it has a pine cone. The Maine White Pine Cone became Maine’s official state flower in 1895.
5. Maine’s state flag was officially adopted on February 23, 1909. Maine’s state flag has a blue background. Maine’s state coat of arms appears on the flag. There is a pine tree, a moose, water, and green scenery on the coat of arms. There is two men one on each side of the coat of arms. Maine’s state motto Dirigo appears above the coat of arms and below it the word Maine appears on a blue ribbon. The star above the word Dirigo represents the North Star.
6. Some crops that are grown in Maine are: apples, blueberries, corn, hay, oats, potatoes, and raspberries.
7. Some cool places to visit while in Maine are: Acadia National Park, Ogunquit Beach, and the Portland Head Lighthouse located in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
8. Some animals that live in Maine are: bald eagles, beavers, coyote, gray fox, mink, moose, and puffins.
9. Maine can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Maine was 105 degrees Fahrenheit in North Bridgton, Maine on July 10, 1911. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Maine was -48 degrees (48 degrees below zero) Fahrenheit in Van Buren, Maine on January 19, 1925.
Share a cool fact about Maine with us?
Get your free printable Maine worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Maine:
1. My United States Maine by Robin S. Doak
2. Little Maine by Jeannie Brett
3. Hello, Maine! by Martha Zschock
4. I Met a Moose in Maine One Day by Ed Shankman
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some really cool facts about Maryland! Thank you for reading my post!! Don’t forget that "One small positive thought can change your whole day."-Zig Ziglar
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.