Who is ready to learn some quick facts about dragonflies?
Today we are going to be learning some quick facts about the beautiful and whimsy dragonflies. Dragonflies are flying insects! Did you know that there are over 5,000 species of dragonflies throughout the world. Can you guess which continents dragonflies live on? Yep, you guessed right dragonflies are present on every continent except for Antarctica. Some scientist say that dragonflies have been around long before dinosaurs ruled the earth!
What is your favorite type of dragonfly?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you can click on the link below to see some pictures of dragonflies: Dragonflies
Facts about dragonflies:
1. The scientific name for dragonflies is Anisoptera. Here is a list of names of some of the different types of dragonflies:
- Butterfly dragonfly
- Emerald Dragonfly
- River Cruiser
- Tigertail Dragonfly
- Skimmer dragonfly
- Spiketail Dragonfly
- Wandering glider
2. The globe skimmer also known as the wandering glider dragonfly is one of the most common types of dragonflies. The globe skimmer can be found on almost all continents except for Antarctic.
3. The Hine's emerald dragonfly also known as the Ohio emerald is one of the rarest types of dragonflies. It is currently on the endangered species list.
4. There are many colors of dragonflies but one of the rarest colors of a dragonfly is the pink dragonfly.
5. Dragonflies are insectivores/carnivores. Carnivores means that they only eat meat. Dragonflies eat flying insects and other insects. Dragonflies are mostly diurnal and prefer to hunt for food during the daytime hours. Diurnal means dragonflies are awake during the daylight hours.
6. A group of dragonflies are called a cluster of dragonflies or a flight of dragonflies.
7. Dragonflies are cold-blooded and love to be in the sun. The sun helps them regulate their bodies temperature.
8. Dragonflies have a short life cycle. Some dragonflies can live up to 56 days or less.
9. Dragonflies live around streams, lakes, ponds, and other wetlands.
Share a fun fact about dragonflies with us?
Get your free dragonfly printable worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about dragonflies:
1. Are You a Dragonfly? by Judy Allen
2. Fast Facts About Dragonflies by Garstecki-Derkovitz
3. Dragonflies: Q&A Guide by Ann Cooper
4. Dragonflies: Catching - Identifying - How and Where They Live by Chris Earley
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
There once was a beautiful emerald green dragonfly who loved to fly from pond to pond in search of food! One day she couldn’t find any flying insects to eat at her usual eating spots on the ponds. So, she went on an adventure flying high in the sky till she came to this large lake. There were flying insects everywhere. Oh, how happy she was! She spent all day eating all the flying insects she could. She was filled with joy and her belly was filled with food. She flew back to her pond and slept all night. THE END!
Thank you for reading my post!! “Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.”-William James
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out! They are free. I have some awesome coloring pages and worksheets that you can print out! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Hi!! I'm Mimi, the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. I love reading and writing. I homeschool my two youngest children. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. She started illustrating the series when she was 14 years old. She loves to draw. She is learning as she goes. Her dream is to one day be a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. All five of the books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million. Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the story is super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books!
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare.
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before!
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear.
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo.
5. Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Harry and Holly Jingles introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. This book is interactive.