Who is ready to learn some quick facts about dragonflies?
Today we are going to be learning some quick facts about the beautiful and whimsy dragonflies. Dragonflies are flying insects! Did you know that there are over 5,000 species of dragonflies throughout the world. Can you guess which continents dragonflies live on? Yep, you guessed right dragonflies are present on every continent except for Antarctica. Some scientist say that dragonflies have been around long before dinosaurs ruled the earth!
What is your favorite type of dragonfly?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you can click on the link below to see some pictures of dragonflies: Dragonflies
Facts about dragonflies:
1. The scientific name for dragonflies is Anisoptera. Here is a list of names of some of the different types of dragonflies:
- Butterfly dragonfly
- Emerald Dragonfly
- River Cruiser
- Tigertail Dragonfly
- Skimmer dragonfly
- Spiketail Dragonfly
- Wandering glider
2. The globe skimmer also known as the wandering glider dragonfly is one of the most common types of dragonflies. The globe skimmer can be found on almost all continents except for Antarctic.
3. The Hine's emerald dragonfly also known as the Ohio emerald is one of the rarest types of dragonflies. It is currently on the endangered species list.
4. There are many colors of dragonflies but one of the rarest colors of a dragonfly is the pink dragonfly.
5. Dragonflies are insectivores/carnivores. Carnivores means that they only eat meat. Dragonflies eat flying insects and other insects. Dragonflies are mostly diurnal and prefer to hunt for food during the daytime hours. Diurnal means dragonflies are awake during the daylight hours.
6. A group of dragonflies are called a cluster of dragonflies or a flight of dragonflies.
7. Dragonflies are cold-blooded and love to be in the sun. The sun helps them regulate their bodies temperature.
8. Dragonflies have a short life cycle. Some dragonflies can live up to 56 days or less.
9. Dragonflies live around streams, lakes, ponds, and other wetlands.
Share a fun fact about dragonflies with us?
Get your free dragonfly printable worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about dragonflies:
1. Are You a Dragonfly? by Judy Allen
2. Fast Facts About Dragonflies by Garstecki-Derkovitz
3. Dragonflies: Q&A Guide by Ann Cooper
4. Dragonflies: Catching - Identifying - How and Where They Live by Chris Earley
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
There once was a beautiful emerald green dragonfly who loved to fly from pond to pond in search of food! One day she couldn’t find any flying insects to eat at her usual eating spots on the pond. So, she went on an adventure flying high in the sky till she came to this large lake. There were flying insects everywhere. Oh, how happy she was! She spent all day eating all the flying insects she could. She was filled with joy and her belly was filled with food. She flew back to her pond and slept all night. THE END!
Thank you for reading my post!! “Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.”-William James
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.