Happy Thankful Thursday!!
May your day be filled with lots of opportunities to be thankful!
We are on letter Pp of the gratitude alphabet. P is for pencil.
What are you thankful for that begins with the letter P?
Joey is thankful for pencils. He loves to draw and write with pencils! He can draw and color a cute little dinosaur with his colored pencils. Joey wants to tell you about the modern pencil lead. Did you know that the modern pencil lead was invented by a man named Nicholas-Jacques Conte. He was a scientist and a French painter who invented the modern pencil lead in 1795.
Facts about pencils:
1. Sometime in 1564 graphite became very popular.
2. Conrad Gessner made the first depiction of a wood pencil in 1565. He had a drawing published that depicted a long thin piece of graphite inside a tube of wood.
3. In 1662 Nuremberg Germany created the first mass produced pencils.
4. In 1812 William Munroe made the first American wood pencils.
5. Sometime In 1858 Hymen Lipman made the first pencil with an eraser attached to it.
6. An average sized tree when cut can make about 170,000 or more pencils. That is a lot of pencils.
7. One pencil can write on average around 45,000 words. That is enough words to write a short story!
8. A pencil can write in space because it doesn’t depend on gravity.
9. Ernest Hemingway said, “If you write with a pencil, you get three different sights at it to see if the reader is getting what you want him to. First when you read it over and then when it is typed you get another chance to improve it, and again in the proof. Writing it first in pencil gives you one-third more chance to improve it.
Pencils are amazing! You can write a novel or you can draw a masterpiece with pencils. So, get out those pencils and start writing or drawing!!
Can you share a pencil fact with us?
Get your free printable coloring worksheet here: P is for Pencil
Books about pencils:
1. My Pencil and Me by Sara Varon
2. Pencils You Should Know: by Caroline Weaver
3. Art's Supplies by Chris Tougas
4. Pencil: A Story With A Point by Ann Ingalls
Parents make sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page