Good day to you!
Are you ready to learn about bumblebees?
Did you know that there are over 240 species of bumblebees? Yes, that is correct! Bumblebees are furry round flying insects! They are larger than honeybees. Bumblebees aren’t always yellow and black in color. Some of the colors that bumblebees can be are white, yellow, black, reddish-orange, and red. Bumblebees prefer to live in a mild climate area. Most bumblebees can be found in the Northern Hemisphere. The Northern Hemisphere is the half of the earth that is above the equator. If you live in North America than you are in the Northern Hemisphere. Some bumblebees can be found living in places in South America too. Part of South America is in the Northern Hemisphere.
Have you seen bumblebees where you live?
Facts about bumblebees:
1. Bumblebees are classified as herbivores. Herbivore means they mostly eat pollen, nectar, and honey. Bumblebees are also important pollinators of plants and crops.
2. Bumblebees live in hives/nests. They build their nests/hives in the ground or in burrows or other empty cavities. Bumblebees live in groups of up to 500 or less. A group of bumblebees is called a colony.
3. The largest species of bumblebee is called the Bombus dahlbomii. The Bombus dahlbomii lives in the Southern part of South America. They can grow to as big as 1.6 inches long. That is a big bumblebee.
4. What is inside of the hive/nest? The queen bumblebee of the hive lays and protects her offspring. The worker bumblebees of the hive forage for food, clean, care for the queen and other bumblebees. The drone bumblebees are male. The drone bumblebees’ main goal is to mate with a queen bumblebee.
5. Male bumblebees cannot sting. The other bumblebees can sting and they can sting more than once because they do not lose their stinger when they sting. Don’t mess with bumblebees or any type of bees. Some people can be allergic to bee stings.
6. Bumblebees can fall asleep in flowers while out foraging for pollen and nectar if the temperature drops to under 55 degrees or lower.
Share a fact about bumblebees with us?
Get your free printable Bumblebee worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Bumblebees:
1. Buzzy the bumblebee by Denise Brennan-Nelson
2. Bumble Bee by Margaret Wise Brown
3. The Bumblebee Queen by April Pulley Sayre
4. Bumble the Bee: Who Couldn't Fly by RK Wheeler
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!! "Don't have a good day; have a GREAT day!" -Free Guy the movie.
Check out my free printable coloring pages and worksheets! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my Grandson Joey’s YouTube channel
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
I’m the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. All four of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO