Good day to you!!
Are you ready to learn some cool facts?
Have you heard of the cuckoo bird before? Cuckoos are a medium sized bird. Cuckoo birds are where the cuckoo clock got its name from. Have you ever seen or heard of a cuckoo clock before? A Cuckoo clock has a Cuckoo bird that comes out of its little house at the top of the clock every hour and makes a Cuckoo singing/chirping sound.
What is your favorite type of bird?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you can click on the links below to see Cuckoo birds and Cuckoo clocks.
You can see Cuckoo clocks here: Click here
You can see Cuckoo birds here: Click here
Facts about Cuckoo birds:
1. There are over 125 species of birds in the Cuckoo bird family. Roadrunner birds are part of the Cuckoo bird family. The different species of cuckoo birds can be found living in different places all around the world except for Antarctica. Here is a list of some of the Cuckoo birds:
- Lesser ground
- Little bronze
- Yellow billed
2. Most cuckoo birds are insectivores. Cuckoo birds eat mainly insects. They love to eat hairy caterpillars!
3. The channel billed cuckoo bird is one of the largest of the cuckoo birds. It can weigh as much as two (2lbs.) pounds, sometimes more or less. It can be up to 27 inches long, sometimes more or less.
4. The little bronze cuckoo bird is one of the smallest of the cuckoo birds. It can weigh as much as a ½ ounce, sometimes more or less. It can be up to six (6in.) inches long, sometimes more or less.
5. Some of the cuckoo birds such as the common cuckoo bird lay their own eggs in other bird’s nests so they do not have to take care of their eggs. Common cuckoo birds are known as Brood parasites. Brood parasite means that they rely on other birds to take care of their eggs and raise their baby birds.
6. A group of cuckoo birds are called an asylum of cuckoos or a family of cuckoos.
7. Cuckoo birds are migratory birds. They migrate/fly to warmer areas during the cold season.
8. The Cuckoo bird makes a sound like coo-coo, coo-coo just like the sound from a cuckoo clock!
Share a cool fact about Cuckoo birds with us?
Get your free cuckoo bird printable ABC worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Cuckoo birds:
1. The Cuckoo Bird by Judy Corbalis
2. The Cuckoo Bird by Carol Krueger
3. The Cuckoos (Bird Families of the World) by Robert B. Payne
4. Cuckoos of the World by Johannes Erritzoe
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
There once was a Cuckoo bird named Coo-coo. Coo-coo loved to fly from tree to tree. Coo-coo would fly down to the ground to search for food. Coo-coo’s favorite food to eat was very hairy caterpillars. Sometimes it was hard to find the caterpillars but that did not stop Coo-coo from searching for those hairy caterpillars to eat. Coo-coo would search for hours and hours for just one of those hairy caterpillars. Some days Coo-coo would find lots of hairy caterpillars and some days Coo-coo would only find one or two. By the end of the day Coo-coo was so tired from searching for those hairy little caterpillars to eat that Coo-coo would sleep peacefully in its nest. Coo-coo would wake up well rested and ready to search for more hairy caterpillars to eat. THE END!
Thank you for reading my post!! “Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.”-Dalai Lama
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.