Hello to you!
Are you ready to learn some cool facts?
Today, we are going to be learning about the cute and tiny ladybugs! Did you know that ladybugs are actually a beetle? Yep, that is correct! Ladybugs are from the beetle family. In North America we call ladybugs well as you may have guessed it, ladybugs! Can you guess what they call ladybugs in Great Britain? In Great Britain they are called ladybirds.
What is your favorite type of beetle?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you can click on the link below to see some pictures of ladybugs:
Facts about ladybugs:
1. The scientific name for a ladybug is Coccinellidae. Here is a list of names of different types of ladybugs:
- Convergent lady beetle
- Eyed ladybug
- Large leaf eating ladybug
- Twenty-spotted lady beetle
- Two-spot ladybird
2. There are over 5000 different types of ladybugs! Ladybugs can be found living in different places on all of the continents except Antarctica.
3. Red with black spots is the most common color of the ladybug! Ladybugs come in many other colors such as yellow, orange, ash grey, metallic blue, black, and various other colors.
4. The headless ladybug is one of the rarest types of ladybugs. It is not really headless it just has the ability to tuck its head inside its body so you can’t see it, sort of like a turtle.
5. Most ladybugs are omnivores. They eat plants and insects.
6. A group of ladybugs are called a loveliness. A baby ladybug is called a larva.
7. Ladybugs are cold blooded and need a lot of heat to survive. Ladybugs hibernate during the winter months.
8. Ladybugs are mostly diurnal. They do most of their food hunting and mating during the daylight hours while the sun is out.
Share a cool fact about ladybugs with us?
Get your free ladybug printable worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about ladybugs:
1. It's a Good Thing There Are Ladybugs by Joanne Mattern
2. Ten Little Ladybugs by Melanie Gerth
3. Hide-and-Seek Ladybugs by Paul Bright
4. Counting with a Ladybug by DK
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
There once was a ladybug who didn’t know what to do, for she got caught inside of an old dreadful shoe. She tried to climb up the inside of the shoe but she couldn’t figure out just what to do. She thought maybe if she went to the dark end of the shoe she’d find her way out, but no such luck. She sat there in the dark thinking how will I ever get out? As she was thinking she seen the light at the other end of that dreadful old shoe. So, she started crawling back towards the light. Once she reached the back end of that shoe she crawled up and made her way to the top of the shoe. She finally figured out just what to do. She opened her wings and started to fly up high towards the sky! THE END.
Thank you for reading my post!! “Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.”-Dalai Lama
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out! They are free. I have some awesome coloring pages and worksheets that you can print out! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Hi!! I'm Mimi, the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. I love reading and writing. I homeschool my two youngest children. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. She started illustrating the series when she was 14 years old. She loves to draw. She is learning as she goes. Her dream is to one day be a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. All five of the books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million. Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the story is super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books!
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare.
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before!
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear.
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo.
5. Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Harry and Holly Jingles introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. This book is interactive.
6. Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.