Hello to you!
Are you ready to learn some cool facts?
Today, we are going to be learning about the cute and tiny ladybugs! Did you know that ladybugs are actually a beetle? Yep, that is correct! Ladybugs are from the beetle family. In North America we call ladybugs well as you may have guessed it, ladybugs! Can you guess what they call ladybugs in Great Britain? In Great Britain they are called ladybirds.
What is your favorite type of beetle?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you can click on the link below to see some pictures of ladybugs:
Facts about ladybugs:
1. The scientific name for a ladybug is Coccinellidae. Here is a list of names of different types of ladybugs:
- Convergent lady beetle
- Eyed ladybug
- Large leaf eating ladybug
- Twenty-spotted lady beetle
- Two-spot ladybird
2. There are over 5000 different types of ladybugs! Ladybugs can be found living in different places on all of the continents except Antarctica.
3. Red with black spots is the most common color of the ladybug! Ladybugs come in many other colors such as yellow, orange, ash grey, metallic blue, black, and various other colors.
4. The headless ladybug is one of the rarest types of ladybugs. It is not really headless it just has the ability to tuck its head inside its body so you can’t see it, sort of like a turtle.
5. Most ladybugs are omnivores. They eat plants and insects.
6. A group of ladybugs are called a loveliness. A baby ladybug is called a larva.
7. Ladybugs are cold blooded and need a lot of heat to survive. Ladybugs hibernate during the winter months.
8. Ladybugs are mostly diurnal. They do most of their food hunting and mating during the daylight hours while the sun is out.
Share a cool fact about ladybugs with us?
Get your free ladybug printable worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about ladybugs:
1. It's a Good Thing There Are Ladybugs by Joanne Mattern
2. Ten Little Ladybugs by Melanie Gerth
3. Hide-and-Seek Ladybugs by Paul Bright
4. Counting with a Ladybug by DK
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
There once was a ladybug who didn’t know what to do, for she got caught inside of an old dreadful shoe. She tried to climb up the inside of the shoe but she couldn’t figure out just what to do. She thought maybe if she went to the dark end of the shoe she’d find her way out, but no such luck. She sat there in the dark thinking how will I ever get out? As she was thinking she seen the light at the other end of that dreadful old shoe. So, she started crawling back towards the light. Once she reached the back end of that shoe she crawled up and made her way to the top of the shoe. She finally figured out just what to do. She opened her wings and started to fly up high towards the sky! THE END.
Thank you for reading my post!! “Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.”-Dalai Lama
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.
i like your short storyReplyDelete
Thank you so much!Delete