Good day to you!
Are you ready to learn something cool?
Have you heard about the Chinese water deer? If you have, then good for you! Learning brings knowledge. If you haven’t then keep reading to find out some cool facts about Chinese water deer also known as vampire deer or Asian water deer. Chinese water deer have fangs. They use their fangs to protect themselves and their young from predators.
What is your favorite kind of deer?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you may click on the link below to see some pictures of Chinese water deer: CLICK HERE
Quick facts about Chinese water deer:
1. The scientific name for Chinese water deer is Hydropotes inermis. There are over 40 types of deer species in the world. Here is a list of some of them:
- Black-tailed deer
- Chinese water deer
- Red deer
- White-tailed deer
2. Chinese water deer are herbivores. Herbivore means that they eat plant matter.
3. Chinese water deer are one of the smaller species of deer. They can weigh up to thirty-one (31) pounds and they have a shoulder height of up to twenty-two (22) inches tall.
4. A group of deer is called a herd, bunch, or mob. A female deer is called a doe. A male deer is called a buck. A baby deer is called a fawn or calf.
5. Chinese water deer do not grow antlers. Instead, they have tusks which are also know as fangs. Their fangs hang out their mouth on each side which is why some people refer to them as vampire deer.
6. Chinese water deer are crepuscular. Crepuscular means they are active during morning and evening hours.
7. Chinese water deer are native to China and Korea. They live near rivers, coastal areas, and swampy marshy areas, that are well vegetated.
8. Chinese water deer can swim for a few miles before getting tired. They are excellent swimmers and they love water.
Share a cool fact about Chinese water deer with us:
Get your free printable Chinese water deer coloring sheet here:
Click link below to print out your free worksheet
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Chinese water deer and deer:
1. Chinese Water Deer by Arnold Cooke
2. My First Book about Deer by Molly Davidson
3. Bambi's Children The Story of a Forest Family by Felix Salten
4. Deer For Kids by John Davidson
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
Once upon a time there was a kind of short deer with really long fangs. She was a Chinese water deer. Her name was Hoppy. Hoppy loved to run and swim. When she ran, she looked more like she was hopping. That is how she got her name. She would hop/run down to the water and swim for hours. When she was finished swimming; she would hop and frolic through the tall grasses in search of food to eat. Sometimes she would find beets to eat. Her favorite food to eat was fresh shoots of grass. When she got tired and full, she would find some tall thick vegetation to take a nap in. Once she felt safe, she would lay down on her side with her head up and fall asleep. While she was sleeping a loud noise startled her. She jumped up and started gazing around. She remained really still and quiet as a mouse. Off in the distance through the tall grasses she spotted a tiny Siberian chipmunk. Hoppy stood there and watched as the little chipmunk played. She wondered how something so small could be so loud. She watched as the Siberian chipmunk got further and further away. Hoppy hopped out of her resting area and started on her way. THE END! By Mimi Jones
Thanks a million for reading my post!! " Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it." — Albert Einstein
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out, they are free:
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book on my website here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel:
I'm Mimi, the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. I love reading, writing, teaching, and learning. I homeschool my two youngest children. My 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. She started illustrating the series when she was 14 years old. She loves to draw. She is learning as she goes. Her dream is to one day be a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help me make my daughter’s dreams a reality and watch how her illustrations evolve over time! Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of the books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.