Who is ready to learn some quick facts about a famous poet?
This week’s famous poet is Edgar Allan Poe. Last week’s famous poet was Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Edgar Allen Poe is a famous poet. He started writing poems at a young age. He may have started writing poems sometime before he was thirteen years old. He wrote over 50 poems. He was born in Boston, Massachusetts. His parents’ names are David Poe Jr., and Elizabeth Arnold. He had two siblings; an older brother and a younger sister.
Keep reading to find out more about Edgar Allan Poe.
Here is a list of some poems by Edgar Allan Poe:
- The Raven
- A Dream Within A Dream
- The Haunted Palace
- A Valentine
- The Sleeper
Do you have a favorite poet?
Quick facts about Edgar Allan Poe:
1. He was born January 19, 1809 in Boston, Massachusetts.
2. Edgar Allan Poe was 40 years old when he died. He passed away on October 7, 1849. He is buried at Westminster Presbyterian Church (Westminster Hall) in West Baltimore, M.D.
3. One of Edgar Allan Poe’s most famous poem is:
From childhood’s hour I have not been
As others were—I have not seen
As others saw—I could not bring
My passions from a common spring—
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow—I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone—
Then—in my childhood—in the dawn
Of a most stormy life—was drawn
From ev’ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still—
From the torrent, or the fountain—
From the red cliff of the mountain—
From the sun that ’round me roll’d
In its autumn tint of gold—
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass’d me flying by—
From the thunder, and the storm—
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view—
(You can print out a worksheet on this poem. You will fill in the missing words in the poem)
4. Edgar Allan Poe married his cousin Virginia Eliza Clemm. They were married in 1836. They had no children.
5. When Edgar Allan Poe was about a year old(1810) his father left the family. The following year his mother died. The wealthy John Allan family took him in and raised him as their son.
6. Edgar Allan Poe’s last words were, “Lord, help my poor soul.” He passed away at Washington Medical College after a four day stay. The doctor that worked there at the time stated that he died from phrenitis.
7. Edgar Allan Poe also wrote short stories. Here is a list of some of his stories:
- The Fall of the House of Usher
- The Black Cat
- The Gold Bug
- Tell-Tale Heart
8. Edgar Allan Poe was educated in the United Kingdom when his foster family moved there in 1815. He went to several different schools there. They returned to Richmond Virginia in the United States in 1820. In 1826 Edgar enrolled into the University of Virginia to study modern languages.
9. Edgar Allan Poe served two years in the military. He enlisted on May 27, 1827. He enlisted under the fake name of Edgar A. Perry.
Share a fact about Edgar Allan Poe with us in the comments?
Get your free printable Edgar Allan Poe worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Edgar Allan Poe:
1. Edgar Allan Poe’s Pie by J. Patrick Lewis
2. The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe by Edgar Allan Poe
3. Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe by Scott Gustafson
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my poet post!! If you find a mistake, please advise me.
Tune in next week to learn some quick facts about E.E. Cummings!
“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality”--Edgar Allan Poe
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.