Happy Flamingo Friday!!
May your day be fabulous!
Jinger wants to tell you about the fascinating Pink Flamingos. Do you know why Flamingos are different shades of pink, red, or orange? Their coloring all depends on their location and the food they eat. They are born a dull white or gray color and turn pink because of what they eat. Their diet consists of algae, small insects, plants, plankton, shrimps, and tiny crustaceans. Their pink coloring comes from the beta carotene in the food they eat.
What is your favorite type of bird?
Facts about Pink Flamingos:
1. There are six Flamingo species. The six species include the Greater Flamingo, the Chilean Flamingo, the Lesser Flamingo, the Andean Flamingo, the Puna (James’s) Flamingo, and the Caribbean (American) Flamingo. Four of the Flamingo species are found throughout the Americas and the Caribbeans and the other two species are native to Europe, Asia, and Africa.
2. Pink Flamingos can weigh up to 8 pounds and can get up to 5 feet tall.
3. Pink Flamingos live in large shallow lakes and lagoons. They build their nests out of mud along the waterways.
4. Flamingos sleep with their heads on their backs and standing on one leg. They can sleep standing up or lying down.
5. Pink Flamingos eat with their head upside down. They place their head in the water upside down and sweep their bill side to side until they get food.
6. A group/flock of Flamingos are called a flamboyance. A baby Flamingo is called a hatchling, chick, or chicklet. Adult Flamingos are referred to as male or female Flamingos.
7. A Pink Flamingo can live up to 30 years in the wild and up to 50 years in captivity.
8. Flamingos can fly up to 370 miles a night at a speed of up to 37 miles per hour! They fly mostly at night to avoid predators.
Can you share a fact about Pink Flamingos with us?
Books about Pink Flamingos:
1. Flamingos by Victoria Blakemore
2. Flamingo Activity Book for Kids: by Activity Slayer
3. Facts About the Flamingo by Lisa Strattin
4. Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle
6. Sylvie: The Colorful Flamingo by Jennifer Sattler
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page