Happy Weird and Wacky Wednesday!!
May your day be whimsical!!
Jinger wants to tell you about Sloths!! Sloths are very slow when they move, but they are super cute!! Did you know that without the Extinct Giant Ground Sloth we would not have avocados today? Yep, that is correct!! If you love avocados then we owe thanks to the extinct Ground Giant Sloths. They were one of a few mammals that could swallow a whole avocado and then the seed would come out in their waste. Where ever they traveled to they would leave seeds and those seeds would turn into beautiful avocado trees.
How cool is that?
What is your favorite type of animal?
Facts about sloths:
1. Sloths may be slow, but they sure are strong! Sloths are about 3 times as strong as an average human. Sloths have very strong arms!
2. Sloths are mostly nocturnal. Sloths have very poor vision and can only see in black and white which means they are color blind. They can’t see anything at all in bright lights, and they can barely see anything in dim lights.
3. Sloths spend most of their time in trees. Sometimes they take a break from the trees and go for a swim. Sloths can move faster in the water than they can on land. They can hold their breath up to 40 minutes underwater. Sloths are super incredible mammals.
4. Sloths have four stomachs; a large four chamber stomach. It can take a sloth up to 1 month to digest a meal. Sloths have the slowest digestion time of any mammal.
5. Sloths live on average about 20 years in the wild and up to 50 years in captivity.
6. Sloths are classified as herbivores, but on occasion they have been known to eat bird eggs, lizards, fruits, and insect. Their main diet consists of leaves, twigs, flowers, and buds.
7. Sloths live the rain forests of Central and South America.
8. There are six species of sloths and they are divided into two groups; the two-toed or three-toed sloth.
Can you share a fact about sloths with us?
Books about sloths:
1. Sensory Seeking Sloth: by Jennifer Jones
2. Sloths (Nature's Children) by Josh Gregory
3. A Little Book of Sloth by Lucy Cooke
4. Sloan the Sloth Loves Being Different: by Misty Black
Parents make sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page