Happy weird and wacky Wednesday!! May your day be wonderful!!
Have you ever heard about the glass frog? Joey wants to tell you about the glass frog!! Glass frogs are amazing amphibians with see through bellies. The primary color of a glass frog is a lime to olive green!! Did you know that the glass frog has translucent skin? That means that on some members of the glass frog family you can see their bones, muscles, and internal organs through its skin on the belly/abdomen area of the glass frog. That is a weird but cool fact!!
What is your favorite type of frog?
Facts about the glass frog:
1. There are more than 120 species of glass frogs! They can be found living in very warm climates of Mexico, Central America, and South America. The Central American Montane Forests is a good place to spot glass frogs! Glass frogs live on land, in water, or on trees.
2. Glass frogs are carnivores which means they eat meat. They eat flies, spiders, and other small insects.
3. The glass frog can jump really high!! They can jump over ten feet (10) in one jump!! How high can you jump?
4. Glass frogs are nocturnal and hunt for food during the night! During the day they are usually sleeping under leaves or other thick vegetation.
5. Glass frogs usually live in small groups! A group of glass frogs is called an army or a colony of glass frogs! Baby glass frogs are called tadpoles. The female glass frog lays its eggs on the underside of wet leaves hanging over the water or very close to the water. The male frog guards the eggs and keeps them wet until the eggs hatch and the tadpoles drop into the water where they will develop into glass frogs. Glass frogs are great swimmers!!
6. Glass frogs can live about 10 to 14 years depending on the species of glass frogs!
7. Glass frogs are tiny and usually grow to around 1 to 3 inches long.
Can you share a fact about glass frogs with us?
Get a free printable glass frog coloring sheet here: Glass frog coloring sheet
Books about glass frogs and other frogs:
1. THE GLASS FROG Do Your Kids Know This? by Tanya Turner
2. National Geographic Readers: Frogs! by Elizabeth Carney
3. Glass Frog: Amazing Facts about Glass Frog by Devin Haines
4. Goodnight Frog by Amber Lily
Parents/caretakers please make sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!