Happy Thankful Thursday!!!
There is a lot to be thankful for today and every day. Don’t forget to count all those blessings and lessons that turn into blessings! May your day be totally terrific!!
We are on letter Uu of the gratitude alphabet. U is for Umbrella! What are you thankful for that begins with the letter U?
Joey and Jinger are thankful for umbrellas! They use an umbrella to keep them dry in the rain!! They like to jump and play in the mud puddles while holding an umbrella in the rain!! Did you know that the basic umbrella also known as the parasol was invented by the ancient Egyptians sometime around 1000 B.C.? The parasol/umbrella was made with colored feathers attached to a long pole. The Egyptians would use the umbrellas/parasols to keep the sun off of them. Sometime in the 11th century the Chinese invented the first waterproof umbrella. Sometime in the 16th or 17th century the rain umbrella made its way to some European countries. In the early 1750’s an English man named Jonas Hanway made the umbrella we know today popular. He was the first male to carry an umbrella in London!
Facts about the umbrella and parasol:
1. Other names for an umbrella include a brolly, parapluie, canopy, rainshade, and a gamp. Parasols are sometimes called sunshades. When an umbrella is used for the snow, it is called a paraneige.
2. There are two main categories of umbrellas the straight type and the folding type. There are many different types and styles of umbrellas. Here is a list of some of those types:
Automatic umbrella- you can open and close with one hand.
Bubble umbrella- umbrella is more rounded.
Classic umbrella- the most common type of umbrella!
Patio umbrella- used to give you shade from the sun
3. There are over 30 million umbrellas made each year! That is a lot of umbrellas!
4. A sombrero is a hat that is used to give you shade from the hot sun. Sombra means shade.
5. There are over 1800 umbrella factories in China.
6. In 1851 Samuel Fox and his Fox Umbrella Frames company made the paragon umbrella frame. The frame he made was sold on umbrellas worldwide.
Can you share a fact about umbrellas with us? Share a picture of your favorite umbrella!!
Get your free printable umbrella worksheet here: U is for Umbrella
Books about umbrellas and parasols:
1. Ella's Umbrellas by Jennifer Lloyd
2. Jonas Hanway's Umbrella Josh Crute
3. The Umbrella Unfurled: Its Remarkable Life and Times by Nigel Rodgers
4. U is for umbrella Preschool Coloring Book by suuper coolor
Parents/caretakers please make sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!