Happy Monday to you!
May your day be marvelous!!
Joey and Jinger want to tell you about moose! Did you know moose are a member of the deer family? It is the largest species of deer in the world. They can grow to be around 4 to 7ft. tall! That is very tall for an animal!! Only the male moose have antlers and they shed them every year around the month of November. During the spring and summer their antlers regrow. Their antlers can grow to be up to six feet wide and weigh around 40 pounds!!
What is your favorite animal from the deer family?
Here are some facts about moose:
1. There are four subspecies of moose. Elk is the same species as moose.
2. They can weigh anywhere from 440 to 1,500 pounds; the males are usually larger than the females. Moose can live an average 15 – 25 years.
3. They can be found in North America, Europe and Asia. Moose prefer areas with a lot of trees, streams, and ponds. Moose prefer cold climates and won’t live in areas that don’t get any snow.
4. Despite their large size, they can run up to 35 mph and jump up to 6ft high!
5. Moose are great swimmers! They can swim through the water for several miles and can even stay beneath the water for about 30 seconds. During the summer most of their diet consist of underwater plants.
6. A group of moose is referred to as a herd. Male moose are referred to as Bulls, females are called cows and baby moose are called calves. A moose calf can stand up within the first day of being born and can outrun a human at only 3 days old!
7. Moose can sleep standing up or laying down. They love to sleep in the tall grass.
8. Moose are herbivores which mean they don’t eat meat. Their diet consists of leaves, weeds, grasses and underwater plants.
9. Moose have bad eye sight, but they can hear and smell good. A moose can smell and hear a predator from a few miles away.
Share a fact about moose with us?
Books about moose:
1. Moose (Amazing Animals)by Kate Riggs
2. Deer, Moose, Elk and Caribou by Deborah Hodge
3. Looking for a Moose by Phyllis Root
4. Circle, Square, Moose by Kelly Bingham
Parents/caretakers please be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
Post a Comment