May your day be terrific!
Guess what today is? Yep, it is TRIVIA TUESDAY!! Joey wants to tell you about turtles! Joey loves turtles and he thinks they are totally awesome. Did you know that all turtles do not live in the water? Some turtles spend a lot of their time on dry land but need access to water to stay hydrated! Aquatic (sea) turtles live in the water. Only the female aquatic (sea) turtle returns to land to lay eggs. The male aquatic (sea) turtle never leaves the water (ocean). There are a lot of different types of turtles. There are more than 350 different species of turtles, tortoises, and terrapins.
Can you answer the TRIVIA question? Which continent do turtles not live on?
A.) Africa B.) Asia C.) Antarctica D.) South America
Facts about turtles:
1. First lets clear this one up….. Tortoises are turtles, but not all turtles are tortoises! They are both reptiles which means they are cold-blooded, but they come from different classification families. The main key difference is that tortoises spend most of their time on land and turtles spend most of their time in water.
2. A group of turtles are called a bale, dole, or nest of turtles. Male and female turtles are just called turtles. A baby turtle is called a hatchling. Both tortoises and turtles lay their eggs on land (ground).
3. The leatherback is the largest living sea turtle. A leatherback sea turtle can weigh up to 2000 pounds and be as long as 8 feet in length. The smallest turtle in the world is the speckled padloper tortoise. The speckled padloper weighs under 4 ounces and only grows to about 3 to 4 inches long. That is a very tiny tortoise.
4. Turtles are omnivores (eating plants and meat), carnivores (meat eating), herbivores (eating plants). Some turtles eat mainly plants while other species of turtles eat shrimp, insect, jellyfish, grasses, algae, fruits, vegetables, plants, and small crustaceans. It depends on the species of turtle what it eats.
5. Turtles live all over the world and on every continent except Antarctica!
6. Just incase you wanted to know turtles and tortoises do fart!! The farts can be stinky depending on what the turtle has been eating.
Can you share a fact about turtles with us?
Get your free printable turtle coloring sheet here: Turtle coloring sheet
Books about turtles and tortoises:
1. Turtles of the World: A Guide to Every Family by Jeffrey Lovich
2. Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins: by Ronald Orenstein
3. All About Turtles by Jim Arnosky
4. I Want A Pet Tortoise by Gail Forsyth
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
Post a Comment