Happy thankful Thursday to you!! May your day be terrific!!
We are on letter Ww of the gratitude alphabet. W is for watch! What are you thankful for that begins with the letter W?
Joey is grateful for watches!! He loves to wear one on his wrist! He likes to practice telling what time it is! Do you wear a watch? Did you know that watches have been around for many years? The very first watch was made in about 1505 by a man named Peter Henlein. The name of the watch that Peter Henlein made is called the Pomander Watch! It is not a wrist watch. It has a spherical shape to it and it can sit on a table or I guess people may have carried it in their pockets so they would know what time it was. Watches have evolved over the years. We went from intricately made spherical shaped watches to smartwatches made by Apple. The world we live in is so amazing!! Don’t forget to give thanks for the many wonderful creations/inventions people have made over the years!
Do you wear a watch?
Facts about watches:
1. Watches are known as timepieces. There are many different types of watches. Here are some types of watches in alphabetical order:
Analog Watch- an analog watch has a clock face consisting of numbers, an hour hand, a minute hand, and sometimes a seconds hand.
Automatic Watch- requires winding of the watch for it to work.
Digital Watch- displays numbers on an LED/LCD watch face.
Diving Watch- this watch is designed for underwater use. In 1926 the first waterproof watch was made.
Dress Watch- is designed for business attire, a fancy date, wedding, or maybe you just want to wear a fancy watch.
Quartz Watch- contains a small battery so it can generate an electric current that is regulated by a tiny quartz crystal.
2. Peter Henlein also made the first pocket watch in about 1510! Peter Henlein was a German watch maker. Men used to carry pocket watches in their pockets, but before they started to carry them in their pockets, they wore them on chains around their necks or attached to their clothing. Pocket watches aren’t used much today.
3. The first wrist watch was made by a man named Patek Philippe around 1868. He was a Swiss watch maker. Some people say that the first wrist watch was actually made around 1810 by a man named Abraham Louis Breguet. Abraham Breguet made a wrist watch for the Queen of Naples. Wrist watches were first made for women.
4. The oldest Swiss manufacturer of luxury watches is Vacheron & Constantin. It was founded in 1755 by Jean-Marc Vacheron and is still around today! It is located in Geneva Switzerland.
5. Apple first introduced its smartwatch in 2015. In 2021 there was an estimated 100 million smartwatches in use!!
Share a fact about watches with us?
Get your free printable watch worksheet here:
Books about watches:
1. 100 Years of Vintage Watches: by Dean Judy
2. Clocks and More Clocks by Pat Hutchins
3. Telling Time Activity Workbook: by Carol Miller
4. Learn To Tell Time Preschool Workbook: by Ann Bishop
Parents/caretakers please make sure all books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Valentine’s Day and Saint Patrick’s Day printables are now available!!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated three of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Three of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!!