Good day to you!
Who is ready to learn some quick facts?
Did you know that there are over 40,000 different types of crustacean/crabs from different places all over the world? Today we are going to learn some quick facts about the Japanese spider crab. Have you ever heard about the Japanese spider crab before? It is a very big crab! The Japanese spider crab has ten (10) very long legs. It is one of the biggest crustacean/crabs in the world.
What is your favorite type of crab/crustacean?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you can click on the link below to see some pictures of the Japanese spider crab: CLICK HERE
Quick facts about Japanese spider crabs:
1. The Japanese spider crabs can be found in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Japan.
2. The leg span of the Japanese spider crab can be over 12 feet. They can weigh up to 40 pounds. The Japanese spider crab’s main body (carapace) can grow to around 14 inches wide. That is a big crab!
3. Japanese spider crabs are omnivores. They eat both, ocean plant matter and meat. Some of the things they eat are: algae, fish, shellfish, and dead sea life on the bottom of the ocean floor. The Japanese spider crab likes to walk the bottom on the ocean floor scavenging for food to eat.
4. The Japanese spider crab can live up to 100 years.
5. The Japanese spider crab can regenerate their legs during the molting process. The molten process is the shedding of their exoskeleton. So, if they ever lose a leg or two while escaping a predator, they can regrow those legs. How amazing is that?
6. The Japanese spider crab is known as taka-ashi-gani in Japan. Taka-ashi-gani means tall legs crab.
7. The Japanese spider crab is known as a decorator crab. They like to put sponges, kelp, or other marine life on their shell/exoskeleton to be able to hide from predators.
8. The Japanese spider crabs starts life out very tiny. The female Japanese spider crab can lay over one million (1,000,000) eggs at a time, but not very many of those eggs will survive.
Share a fun fact about the Japanese spider crab with us?
Get your free printable Japanese spider crab worksheet
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Japanese spider crabs:
1. Japanese Spider Crabs by Emma Bassier
2. Japanese Spider Crab Pictures and Fun Facts by Tanya Turner
3. Japanese Spider Crab (Library of Awesome Animals) by Catherine C. Finan
4. Japanese Spider Crabs by Wendy Perkins
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
Once upon a time there was a baby Japanese spider crab that was born way deep down in the Pacific Ocean. After he was hatched, he began his journey into adulthood. It took him four stages to develop into adulthood. He was so happy when he reached the fourth stage. He was now an adult Japanese spider crab. He was amazed at how long his ten legs were and that the two front legs had claws on them. He would spend his days at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Japan searching for food to eat. His favorites were algae and small fish. He also loved to decorate his exoskeleton using sponges and kelp. He thought he looked beautiful and the decorations helped him hide from the predators that liked to try and eat him. He lost one of his claws trying to get away from the octopus that tried to eat him one night for dinner. He was a lucky Japanese spider crab because his claw grew back when he went through the molten process. Oh, how he loved to scavenge the bottom of the ocean for food! THE END.
Thank you for reading my post!! “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” -Dr. Seuss
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.