Are you ready to learn some cool facts?
Turtles are amazing creatures. You have probably seen a turtle before, right? Are you aware of how long a turtle can live for? Have you ever heard about Jonathan? Jonathan is the world’s oldest tortoise! Can you guess how old he is? If you guessed 190 years old, then you are correct! Jonathan lives on the island of St. Helena. Read on to learn more cool facts about Jonathan other types of turtles.
What is your favorite kind of turtle?
With your parent/caretaker’s permission you may click on the link below to see pictures and read more about Jonathan the tortoise: CLICK HERE
Facts about turtles and Jonathan the tortoise:
1. There are over 325 species of turtles in the world. Turtles are reptiles and cold blooded. Jonathan is a Seychelles giant tortoise. Here is a list of some of the different species of turtles:
- Common box turtle
- Common snapping turtle
- False map turtle
- Gopher tortoise
- Green sea turtle
- Painted Terrapin
- Seychelles giant tortoise
- Western pond turtle
2. The speckled padloper tortoise is one of the smallest turtles in the world. They can weigh up to five and a half (5 ½) ounces or more. It can grow to around three inches long, maybe a little more.
3. The Leatherback Sea turtle is one of the biggest turtles in the world. It can weigh up to 1,500 pounds. They can be over 7 foot long. That is really long!
4. Jonathan is a Seychelles giant tortoise. A Seychelles giant tortoise can weigh over 600 pounds. Jonathan weighs about 440 pounds. They can grow up to four feet long.
5. Depending on the species of turtle it could be a carnivore, herbivore, or an omnivore. Seychelles giant tortoises are herbivores. Jonathan is a Seychelles giant tortoise so he must be an herbivore too.
6. A group of turtles are referred to as a bale of turtles, a dole of turtles, or a nest of turtles.
7. Turtles can be either nocturnal or diurnal. Nocturnal means they are awake/active during night time hours and diurnal means that they are awake/active during daytime hours.
8. Depending on the type of turtle some live in the water, some live on land, and some prefer land and water. Jonathan is a tortoise. Tortoises live on land.
9. There are three kinds of turtles: aquatic, land, and marine turtles. Terrapins, tortoises, and turtles are all cold blooded reptiles.
Share a fact about turtles with us:
Get your free printable turtle coloring sheet here:
Click link below to print out your free worksheet
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about turtles:
1. On the Backs of Tortoises by Elizabeth Hennessy
2. Galapagos George by Jean Craighead George
3. Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins A Natural History by Ronald Orenstein
4. All Things Turtles For Kids by Animal Reads
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Short story alert:
Once upon a time there was a very slow turtle named leisure. Leisure liked to take his time enjoying the beauty of the island he lived on. Leisure would slowly find his way to the nearest banana tree. Right there under the shade of the tree there would be bananas for him to eat. As he spotted the bananas under the tree his little eyes got so big. He called it banana heaven! He would devour each banana until he was full. Then he would leave the shade of the tree and get back out in the sun because he is a cold-blooded reptile who needs a lot of heat. He enjoyed the sun shining down on him. Leisure would slowly but surely make his way around the island he lived on in between naps that is. Leisure loved to nap. After each nap he would venture further around the island until he made his way back to his nest where he would nap again! Leisure’s motto is slow and steady wins the race! THE END!
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out, they are free:
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book on my website here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel:
I'm Mimi, the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. I love reading, writing, teaching, and learning. I homeschool my two youngest children. My 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. She started illustrating the series when she was 14 years old. She loves to draw. She is learning as she goes. Her dream is to one day be a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help me make my daughter’s dreams a reality and watch how her illustrations evolve over time! Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All five of the books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.