Wishing you a very happy magical Monday!!
Christmas is coming very soon so I thought I would blog about some Christmas stuff. Today Joey wants to tell you about Reindeer also known as Caribou. The Caribou is wild and native to Northern North America the Reindeer is domesticated and native to Northern Europe and Asia. Reindeer are a species of the deer family. Magical Reindeer pull Santa’s sleigh through the night sky on Christmas Eve! Santa and his Reindeer go to each house so he can leave gifts for the children. Only Santa’s Reindeer are able to fly because they are magical. Did you know that all Santa’s Reindeer are female? Scientist say that Santa’s Reindeer are all female. Male Reindeer lose their antlers in the winter and females don’t lose theirs until the spring time.
What do you put out for Santa and his Reindeer to eat on Christmas Eve?
Here is all of Santa’s Reindeer names in Alphabetical order:
Blitzen, Comet, Cupid, Dancer, Dasher, Donner, Prancer, Rudolph, and Vixen.
Facts about Reindeer:
1. Both the male and female Reindeers grow antlers.
2. Reindeers are herbivores. They eat grasses, herb, mosses, fungi, lichen, leaves, and other types of vegetation.
3. Reindeer have a four-chamber stomach. The four chambers of the Reindeer’s stomach are called: Rumen, Reticulum, Omasum, and Abomasum.
4. Male Reindeers are called a bull or a stag. Female Reindeers are called cows. A baby Reindeer is called a calf. A group of Reindeer are called herds. Reindeers travel and sleep in herds of 10 to as many as 500,000 reindeers. Some Reindeer herds are larger depending on what part of the world they live in.
5. Reindeers are very strong animals with very strong and powerful legs. Reindeers can run at speeds of up to 20 to 48 miles per hour.
6. Reindeer can swim when they need to cross the water. They can swim at speeds of up to 5 miles per hour sometimes maybe a little faster when necessary.
7. The height of a Reindeer measures about 3 to 5 feet tall from hooves to shoulders. They can weigh as much as 500 pounds.
8. Reindeer can live up to 10 or more years in the wild and up to 20 years in captivity.
9. Reindeer prefer to live in cold climates like Alaska, Northern North America, Europe, and Northern Asia.
Books about Reindeer:
1. Remarkable Reindeer by Jeff Bauer
2. Facts About the Reindeer by Lisa Strattin
3. The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
4. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer by Robert L. May
5. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas: A 21st Century Retelling by Angela Nixon
Parents make sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page