Happy Trivia Tuesday!! May your day be filled with joy and happiness!!
How about a little trivia about the candy cane?
In what year was the candy cane first introduced to children? (A.) 1871 (B.) 1670 (C.) 1542 (D.) 1847
Legend states that the first candy cane was actually a straight white sugar stick. A choirmaster in Germany bent them into the shape of a candy cane. They were then handed out to all the children during a ceremony in hopes that it would keep them quiet during the show in 1670.
Facts about the candy cane:
1. August Imgard of Wooster Ohio was a German-Swedish immigrant who in 1847 decorated a Christmas tree (Blue Spruce) with candy canes and paper ornaments. He was the first person in the United States to put candy canes on a Christmas tree. The candy canes were just plain white.
2. Some say that a candy maker in Indiana made a candy cane to represent Jesus. They say the white stripes represent Jesus’ purity. The red stripes are for the blood of Jesus and the J shape is for the staff of the Shepherds. Some say the J shape is also a reminder of Jesus.
3. The red and white stripes were added to the candy cane in the very early 1900’s. Possibly 1900.
4. Did you know that there is a national candy cane day? National candy cane day is December 26th.
5. In 2012 a Swiss chef named Alain Roby made the world’s tallest candy cane. It measures 51 feet long.
6. In 1919 Robert E. McCormack founded Bobs Candies which was the largest manufacturer of the candy cane.
7. About 1.70 billion candy canes are made every year. Around 90% of the candy canes that are made each year sell during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. That is a lot of candy canes!
8. Candy canes come in a variety of flavors, but the traditional is the peppermint flavored candy cane. Did you know that they have a pickle flavored candy cane and a mac and cheese flavored candy cane?
What is your favorite type of candy cane?
Books about candy canes:
1. Candy Cane Magic by Beau Spearman
2. How the Candy Cane Got Its Stripes: A Christmas Tale by Kevin Brougher
3. Katie the Candy Cane Fairy Storybook by Thomas Nelson
4. Candy Cane Christmas by Helen C. Haidle
Parents make sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page