May you have a fun filled day with lots of learning!!
Did you know that decorating with holly during the winter season goes all the way back to the Druids and Ancient Romans? Yes, that is correct. Have you heard the song Deck the Halls? Well, holly has always been associated with bringing good luck! The Druids believed that if they cut boughs of holly and hung it in their houses during the winter season it would bring them good luck. The Ancient Romans decorated their homes with holly wreaths during the celebration of the Saturnalia festivals. Holly is also known as a symbol of the crown of thorns that was placed on Jesus’s head.
Do you use holly to decorate your home with during the Christmas/winter season?
Facts about holly:
1. There are just over 475 evergreen varieties of holly which include plants, trees, and shrubs. They do not shed their leaves. They do however shed old damaged leaves throughout the year. Holly grows in many places throughout the world.
2. Holly berries are harmful to humans and pets if consumed. The leaves of holly have very sharp needle like edges.
3. The smallest holly shrub is the Chinese dwarf holly.
4. In Chambers, Alabama there is an American holly tree that stands 74 feet tall. It is the tallest holly tree on record in the U.S.A.
5. Here are some names of the American holly varieties: American holly, Winterberry, Common holly, Holly blue, Yaupon holly, and there are many more.
6. The berries on holly usually appear in the autumn time and can range in colors which include red, pink, brown, black, yellow, and white depending on the type of holly.
7. There is a holly that grows in the desert called Atriplex hymenelytra which is known as the desert holly.
Can you share a fact with us about holly?
Books about holly:
1. Deck the Halls Board book by Running Press
2. Hollies: The Genus Ilex by Fred Galle
3. Winter in the Forest by Rusty Finch
4. Hollies for Gardeners by Christopher Bailes
Parents be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated two of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Two of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR coming soon!!
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!
Thank you for reading my post!
Check out my printable coloring pages and worksheets! Thanksgiving and Christmas coloring sheets now available!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page