Hi all! Wishing you a
safe and happy day!
Who is ready to learn some cool facts about California??
Joey and Jinger love learning about all the states in the United States. They want to share the facts with you! I will be posting facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted about Arkansas. This week we are posting facts about California.
Did you know that California is the 31st state to join the union? Yep, that is right. California officially joined the union on September 9, 1850! California is located in the Western region of the United States. California is bordered by three (3) other states: Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon. California is the third (3rd) largest state in the United States. There is about 39,538,220 people living in California. That is a lot of people!!
Share a fun fact about the state you reside in with us?
Facts about California:
1. A few things California is known for are its beautiful beaches, Hollywood, and surfing. The nickname for the state of California is: The Golden State. The California state motto is Eureka which means I have found it (gold). The abbreviation for California is CA.
2. The capital of California is Sacramento. Sacramento officially became the capital of California in 1854. Sacramento has a population of around 500,930 people.
3. The California state bird is the California quail. The California quail is a blackish gray brown with white streaks.
4. The California official state flower is the California poppy. The California poppy grows wild in some fields in California and turns the fields into beautiful golden colors. The California poppy is a bright orange yellow in coloring. The California poppy is beautiful!
5. The California state flag became the official flag on February 3, 1911. The California state flag features a grizzly bear which represents strength. One red star that symbolizes sovereignty/freedom. The single red stripe on the bottom of the flag stands for courage and the white color on the flag stands for purity.
6. Some crops that are grown in California are: almonds, avocados, grapes, garlic, oranges, strawberries, tomatoes, and walnuts.
7. Some places to visit in California are: The California National Parks, Disneyland, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Hollywood.
8. Some of the animals that live in California are the California grizzly bears, cougars, coyotes, hawks, skunks, squirrels, and whales.
9. California can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in California was 134 degrees Fahrenheit in Death Valley, California on July 10, 1913. The coldest temperature ever recorded in California was -45 degrees Fahrenheit (45 degrees below zero) in Boca, California on January 20, 1937.
Share a fact about California with us?
Get your free printable California worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about California:
1. California by Lauren Newman
2. Welcome to California by Asa Gilland
3. C is for California: by Trish Madson
4. Good Night California by Adam Gamble
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some cool facts about Colorado! Thank you for reading my post!! "Don't have a good day; have a GREAT day!" -Free Guy the movie.
Check out my free printable coloring pages and worksheets! Easter printables now available!!
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated three of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Three of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!