Hello to you!!
May your day be filled with learning.
Joey and Jinger love cats!!! Joey would like to tell you some cool cat facts. Are you ready to learn some cool facts about cats? Cats are one of the most popular pets in the world! Did you know that cats can’t taste sweet stuff? Yep, that is right they can’t taste anything that is sweet. Do you know why? Cats are mostly carnivores and they don’t really have a need for anything other than meats in their diets. Although sometimes cats do eat vegetables and other food sources. Cats have taste buds just like humans do but they can’t taste sweet stuff the way humans do. How cool is that?
Do you have a favorite type of cat? If so, share your favorite with us?
Facts about cats:
1. There are around 70 different breeds of cats. Here is a list of some of the breeds in alphabetical order:
Maine coon cat
Norwegian forest cat
2. Cats can run about 30 miles per hour (MPH). That is pretty fast. A human can run up to 8 miles per hour. A cat can run faster than a human, but only for a short period of time.
3. Depending on the breed of cat they can sleep anywhere from 12 to 16 hours a day! They need a lot of sleep. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? Cats are crepuscular. Crepuscular means that cats are mostly awake and active during the dawn and dusk hours. Cats spend a lot of their waking hours grooming themselves.
4. Cats can jump up to 6 times their own height. They can usually jump about 4 to 5 feet or more depending on the breed of cat. Cats have very powerful hind legs!
5. Did you know that most cats have 18 toes? They have five toes on each of their front paws and 4 toes on each of their back paws. That is a total of 18 toes!! Some cats may have more or less toes. Cats also have 18 claws some cats can have more or less claws.
6. A group of three or more cats is called a clowder. A female cat is sometimes referred to as a molly or queen. A male cat is sometimes referred to as a tom or tomcat. A baby cat is called a kitten. A group of kittens is called a litter or a kindle.
7. The Maine coon cat is the biggest of domesticated cats. The Maine coon cat can weigh up to 30 pounds and be up to 40 inches in length. One of the smallest domesticated cats is the Singapura cat. The Singapura cat can weigh up to 8 pounds and be up to 12 inches in length.
8. Did you know that a person who loves cats is called an ailurophile? Ailurophile is a Greek word that means lover of cats.
Share a fact about cats with us?
Get your free printable cat coloring sheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Cats:
1. CAT BREEDS FOR KIDS by Melissa Ackerman
2. Cat Book: 101 Amazing Facts about Kittens and Cats by Jenny Kellett
3. My First Cat Book: by Angela Herlihy
4. Everything Cat: by Marty Crisp
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!! "Don't have a good day; have a GREAT day!" -Free Guy the movie.
Check out my free printable coloring pages and worksheets! Fourth of July printable coming soon
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my Grandson Joey’s YouTube channel
I’m the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated three of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Three of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in MAY 2022!!