Hello to you!!
Are ready to learn some cool facts about Connecticut??
Joey loves learning facts about the different states. He would like to share some of those facts with you! I will be posting facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Colorado. This week we are posting facts about Connecticut.
Did you know that Connecticut is the 5th state to join the union? Yes, that is right. Connecticut officially joined the union on January 9, 1788! Connecticut is located in the Northeastern corner of the United States. Connecticut is bordered by three (3) other states: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New York. Connecticut is the forty eighth (48th) largest state in the United States. Connecticut is one of the smallest states. There are about 3.6 million people living in Connecticut.
Share a fun fact about the state you reside in?
Facts about Connecticut:
1. A few things Connecticut is known for are its beautiful fall colors and Yale University. The nickname for the state of Connecticut is: The Constitution State. The Connecticut state motto is Qui transtulit sustinet which means he who transplanted still sustains. The abbreviation for Connecticut is CT.
2. The capital of Connecticut is Hartford. Hartford officially became the capital of Connecticut in 1875. Hartford has a population of around 123,088 people.
3. The Connecticut state bird is the American Robin. The American Robin was chosen as the state bird in 1943. The American Robins like to sing (chirp). The American Robin has reddish-orange colored chest feathers. The rest of the bird is grayish brown in color with a dark colored head. It is a very beautiful bird.
4. The Connecticut official state flower is the Mountain-laurel. The Connecticut Mountain-laurel grows along the ride sides, yards, and many other places in Connecticut. The Connecticut Mountain-laurel is star shaped and comes in different shades of white, pink, and red. They are very beautiful flowers!! The Connecticut Mountain-laurel became Connecticut’s official state flower in 1907.
5. The Connecticut state flag became the official flag on September 9, 1897.
6. Some crops that are grown in Connecticut are: apples, barley, beets, hay, and tobacco.
7. A few places to visit in Connecticut are: Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, and the Mark Twain House & Museum.
8. Some of the animals that live in Connecticut are the eastern black bear, eastern grey squirrel, badgers, beavers, white tailed deer, and coyotes.
9. Connecticut can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Connecticut was 106 degrees Fahrenheit in Danbury, Connecticut on July 15, 1995. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Connecticut was -32 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees below zero) in Falls Village, Connecticut on February 16, 1943.
Share a fact about Connecticut with us?
Get your free printable Connecticut worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Connecticut:
1. Connecticut by Michael Burgan
2. Night-Night Connecticut by Katherine Sully
3. Lucky to Live in Connecticut by Kate Jerome
4. N Is For Nutmeg: A Connecticut Alphabet by Elissa Grodin
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some cool facts about Delaware! Thank you for reading my post!! "Don't have a good day; have a GREAT day!" -Free Guy the movie.
Check out my free printable coloring pages and worksheets! Fourth of July printable coming soon
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
I have written 4 children’s books so far. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated three of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Three of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming in 2022!!