Are you ready to learn some cool facts about Delaware?
Joey loves learning facts about the different states. He would like to share some of those cool facts with you! I will be posting facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Connecticut. This week we are posting facts about Delaware.
Did you know that Delaware was the 1st state to join the union? Yes, that is right Delaware started what we now know as the United States of America. Delaware officially joined the union on December 7, 1787! Delaware is located on the East Coast of the United States. It is a Mid-Atlantic state. Delaware is bordered by three (3) other states: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland. Delaware is the forty-ninth (49th) largest state in the United States. Delaware is one of the smallest states. There are about 989,948 people living in Delaware.
Share a cool fun fact about the state you reside in?
Facts about Delaware:
1. A few things Delaware is known for is being a tax-free state, beaches, and the first state to join the union. The nicknames for the state of Delaware are: The First State, the Blue Hen State, the Diamond State, and the Small Wonder. The First State is Delaware’s official nickname. The Delaware state motto is Liberty and independence. The abbreviation for Delaware is DE.
2. The capital of Delaware is Dover. Dover officially became the capital of Delaware in 1777. Dover has a population of around 39,403 people.
3. The Delaware state bird is the Delaware Blue Hen. The Delaware Blue Hen was chosen as the state bird on April 14, 1939. The Delaware Blue Hen has grayish brown feathers with a hint of blue.
4. The Delaware official state flower is the Peach Blossom. The Delaware Peach Blossom grows on peach trees. They bloom in the early spring. The Delaware Peach Blossoms range in color from a very light pink to an almost purple color. The Peach Blossoms have tear shaped petals. They are very beautiful flowers!! The Delaware Peach Blossom became Delaware ’s official state flower on May 9, 1895.
5. The Delaware state flag became the official flag on July 24, 1913.
6. Some crops that are grown in Delaware are: barley, soy beans, wheat, and corn.
7. A few places to visit in Delaware are: Rehoboth beach, Bethany beach, and the Delaware Children's Museum in Wilmington Delaware.
8. Some of the animals that live in Delaware are beavers, chipmunks, coyotes, moles, river otter, skunks, white tailed deer, and wolves.
9. Delaware can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Delaware was 110 degrees Fahrenheit in Millsboro, Delaware on July 21, 1930. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Delaware was -17 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees below zero) in Millsboro, Delaware on January 17, 1893.
10. Delaware has a lot of shoreline and beaches. It would make a great place to visit if you like beaches!!
Share a fact about Delaware with us?
Get your free printable Delaware worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Delaware:
1. Delaware by Melissa McDaniel
2. Good Night Delaware by Adam Gamble
3. Exploring the Delaware Colony by Lori McManus
4. What's Great about Delaware? by Sheri Dillard
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some cool facts about Florida! Thank you for reading my post!! "Don't have a good day; have a GREAT day!" -Free Guy the movie.
Check out my free printable coloring pages and worksheets! Fourth of July printable coming soon
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my Grandson Joey’s YouTube channel
I’m the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated three of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Three of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in MAY 2022!!
Post a Comment