Hello to YOU!!
Who is ready to learn some cool facts about Florida?
Joey and Jinger love learning facts about the different
states. Do you? They would like to share some of those cool facts with you! I will be
posting facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states
will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Delaware.
This week we are posting facts about Florida.
Did you know that Florida was the 27th state to
join the union? Yep, that is right. Florida officially joined the union on March
3, 1845! Florida is located on the Southeastern Coast of the United States. The
Gulf of Mexico is on one side of Florida and the Atlantic Ocean is on the other
side. Florida is bordered by two(2)states: Alabama and Georgia. Florida is
the twenty-second (22nd) largest state in the United States. Florida
is a big state. There are about 21,780,000 people living in Florida.
Share a cool fun fact about the state you reside in?
Facts about Florida:
1. A few things Florida is known for are alligators,
beaches, and oranges. The nicknames for the state of Florida are: The Sunshine
State and The Alligator State. The Sunshine State is Florida’s official
nickname. The Florida state motto is In God We Trust. The abbreviation for
Florida is FL.
2. The capital of Florida is Tallahassee. Tallahassee
officially became the capital of Florida in 1824. Tallahassee has a population
of around 197,787 people.
3. The Florida state bird is the Northern mockingbird. The Northern
mockingbird was chosen as the state bird in 1927. The Florida Northern
mockingbird has grayish-brown to dark brown feathers with some white. The
Florida Northern mockingbird has an off-white color on its chest and underneath
4. The Florida official state flower is the Orange Blossom. The Florida Orange Blossom grows on orange
trees. They start blooming as early as February; sometimes earlier. The Florida
Orange Blossoms are white in color. The Florida Orange Blossoms are star-shaped.
They are very beautiful flowers!! The Florida Orange Blossom became Florida’s
official state flower in 1909.
5. The first flag Florida used was on June 25, 1845. The
Florida state flag that is used today became the official flag on November 6, 1900.
The flag has changed a few times over the years.
6. Some crops that are grown in Florida are: oranges,
blueberries, tangerines, tomatoes, watermelons, and corn.
7. A few places to visit in Florida are: Walt Disney World, The
EPCOT, and the Universal Orlando Resort. If you love beaches Florida has many
of them! Here is a list of some of them:
Fort Lauderdale beach
Panama City beach
8. Some of the animals that live in Florida are alligators, bears, dolphins, flamingos, panthers, pelicans, otters, and some crocodiles.
9. Florida can get very hot and very cold depending on the
time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Florida was 109 degrees
Fahrenheit in Monticello, Florida on June 29, 1931. The coldest temperature
ever recorded in Florida was -2 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees below zero) in Tallahassee,
Florida on February 13, 1899.
Share a fact about Florida with us?
Get your free printable Florida worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of
worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Florida:
1. Welcome to Florida by Asa Gilland
2. Florida by Tamra B. Orr
3. Florida: What's So Great About This State? by Kate Jerome
4. Hello, Florida! by Martha Zschock
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before
reading them to your child/children.
You can Click here to purchase the 50 states workbook on Amazon.
You can also utilize the 50 States tab at the top of my page to find all the 50 states post in one convenient place.
Tune in next week to learn some cool facts about
Georgia! Thank you for reading my post!! "Don't have a good day; have a GREAT day!" -Free
Guy the movie.
my free printable coloring pages and worksheets! Fourth of July printable
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways,
learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would
like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book
to my Grandson Joey’s YouTube channel
to my YouTube channel
the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter
illustrated three of them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the
series. Three of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target,
Walmart, and Books A Million.
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO coming soon in