May your day be rainbowtastic!
Joey thinks dolphins are cool! Joey wants me to tell you some cool facts about dolphins. Are you ready to learn about dolphins? Did you know that there are over 35 species of dolphins? Dolphins are mammals. They are warm blooded. They are a marine animal and they live in the water. They do not breathe with gills like fish do. They breathe with their lungs.
Have you ever seen a dolphin?
Facts about dolphins:
1. Dolphins are carnivores. They eat fish, jellyfish, squid and other aquatic creatures.
2. Orcas are considered dolphins. Orcas are the largest species in the dolphin family. They can grow to be about 30 feet long.
3. Here is a list of some of the different types of dolphins in alphabetical order:
- · Amazon river
- · Atlantic humpbacked
- · Baiji
- · Common bottlenose
- · False killer whale
- · Indo-Pacific humpbacked
- · Orca
- · Risso's
- · Spinner
- · Striped
4. Dolphins sleep near the surface of the water so they can get air when they need it. Dolphins usually sleep during the night but only for a few hours at a time. One side of the dolphin’s brain is always awake even when they are asleep. The left side of their brain sleeps while the right side is awake and vice versa. This makes it easier for them to be able to come to the surface of the water to get air when needed.
5. Dolphins can swim up to 37 miles per hour (MPH) depending on the type of dolphin. The Orca whale/dolphin can swim up to 35 miles per hour. The Bottlenose dolphin can swim over 18 miles per hour.
6. Dolphins have very large brains and are very intelligent. You and your parents/caretakers can experience your very own dolphin encounter and learn a lot about them by visiting The Dolphin Research Center located in Grassy Key, Florida.
7. Dolphins are very social. They swim together in groups. A group of dolphins are called a pod.
8. The average lifespan of a dolphin is about 30 years. However, there was a bottlenose dolphin named Nicklo that lived about 67 years in the wild. Nicklo was last seen in 2017 when she was 67 years old.
Share a fact about dolphins with us?
Get your free printable dolphin worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Dolphins:
1. Everything Dolphin What Kids Really Want to Know about Dolphins by Marty Crisp
2. Dolphin Adventure by Wayne Grover
3. Dolphins by Rebecca Heller
4. Facts About the Amazon River Dolphin by Lisa Strattin
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!! Don’t forget that "One small positive thought can change your whole day."-Zig Ziglar
Check these free printables out:
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.
Post a Comment