May your day be rainbowtastic!
Joey thinks dolphins are cool! Joey wants me to tell you some cool facts about dolphins. Are you ready to learn about dolphins? Did you know that there are over 35 species of dolphins? Dolphins are mammals. They are warm blooded. They are a marine animal and they live in the water. They do not breathe with gills like fish do. They breathe with their lungs.
Have you ever seen a dolphin?
Facts about dolphins:
1. Dolphins are carnivores. They eat fish, jellyfish, squid and other aquatic creatures.
2. Orcas are considered dolphins. Orcas are the largest species in the dolphin family. They can grow to be about 30 feet long.
3. Here is a list of some of the different types of dolphins in alphabetical order:
- · Amazon river
- · Atlantic humpbacked
- · Baiji
- · Common bottlenose
- · False killer whale
- · Indo-Pacific humpbacked
- · Orca
- · Risso's
- · Spinner
- · Striped
4. Dolphins sleep near the surface of the water so they can get air when they need it. Dolphins usually sleep during the night but only for a few hours at a time. One side of the dolphin’s brain is always awake even when they are asleep. The left side of their brain sleeps while the right side is awake and vice versa. This makes it easier for them to be able to come to the surface of the water to get air when needed.
5. Dolphins can swim up to 37 miles per hour (MPH) depending on the type of dolphin. The Orca whale/dolphin can swim up to 35 miles per hour. The Bottlenose dolphin can swim over 18 miles per hour.
6. Dolphins have very large brains and are very intelligent. You and your parents/caretakers can experience your very own dolphin encounter and learn a lot about them by visiting The Dolphin Research Center located in Grassy Key, Florida.
7. Dolphins are very social. They swim together in groups. A group of dolphins are called a pod.
8. The average lifespan of a dolphin is about 30 years. However, there was a bottlenose dolphin named Nicklo that lived about 67 years in the wild. Nicklo was last seen in 2017 when she was 67 years old.
Share a fact about dolphins with us?
Get your free printable dolphin worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Dolphins:
1. Everything Dolphin What Kids Really Want to Know about Dolphins by Marty Crisp
2. Dolphin Adventure by Wayne Grover
3. Dolphins by Rebecca Heller
4. Facts About the Amazon River Dolphin by Lisa Strattin
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Thank you for reading my post!! Don’t forget that "One small positive thought can change your whole day."-Zig Ziglar
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out! They are free. I have some awesome coloring pages and worksheets that you can print out! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
I’m the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. All four of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million. Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the story is super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books!
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO