May your day be filled with lots of learning!
Have you ever been to Louisiana? You can discover some cool facts about Louisiana here! Joey loves learning fun cool facts about all of the different states. He would like me to share some of those fun cool facts with you! Every Thursday I will be posting cool facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Kentucky. This week we are posting cool facts about Louisiana.
Did you know that Louisiana was the eighteenth (18th) state to join the union? Yes, that is right! Louisiana officially joined the union on April 30, 1812! Louisiana is located in the Southeastern region of the United States. Louisiana is bordered by three (3) states: Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas. Louisiana is also bordered by the Gulf of Mexico. Louisiana is the thirty-first (31st) largest state in the United States. Louisiana is big state. There are about 4,624,047 people living in Louisiana.
Did you know that Anne Rice was born in Louisiana? Anne Rice is a famous book author. Anne Rice is the author of about 37 published novels.
Do you know any famous people that were born in the state you reside in?
Facts about Louisiana:
1. A few things Louisiana is known for are: the Mardi Gras, Cajun and Creole cultures, and jazz music. A few of the nicknames for the state of Louisiana are: The Pelican State, the Bayou State, and the Creole State. The Louisiana state motto is Union, Justice and Confidence. The Louisiana state motto was adopted sometime in 1902. The abbreviation for Louisiana is LA.
2. The capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge officially became the capital of Louisiana sometime in 1849. Baton Rouge has an estimated population of around 227,470 people.
3. The Louisiana state bird is the Brown pelican. The Brown pelican was chosen as the state bird for Louisiana on July 27, 1966. The Louisiana Brown pelican is a beautiful brown-grayish color with a white neck and a creamy yellowish colored head area. The Brown pelican has a very long beak/bill.
4. The Louisiana official state flower is the Magnolia. The Magnolia is a perennial flowering tree/shrub that can be found growing throughout the state of Louisiana. The Magnolia starts to bloom in the months of March and April. The Magnolia is a very beautiful tree flower. The Louisiana Magnolia became Louisiana’s official state flower in 1900.
5. Louisiana’s state flag was officially adopted on July 1, 1912. Louisiana’s state flag has a blue background. The state seal of Louisiana appears on the blue background. There is a pelican feeding her baby birds in a nest. The state motto Union, Justice and Confidence appears on the flag in a ribbon underneath the nest.
6. Some crops that are grown in Louisiana are: cotton, sugar cane, rice, corn, sweet potatoes, and soybean.
7. Some cool places to visit while in Louisiana are: the Mardi Gras World located in New Orleans, Louisiana, Houmas House and Gardens located in Darrow, LA, and the Grand Isle State Park located in Jefferson Parish, L.A.
8. Some animals that live in Louisiana are: alligators, catfish, deer, foxes, squirrels, otter, wolves, and turtles.
9. Louisiana can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Louisiana was 114 degrees Fahrenheit in Plain Dealing, Louisiana on August 10, 1936. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Louisiana was -16 degrees (16 degrees below zero) Fahrenheit in Minden, Louisiana on January 19, 1994.
What cool facts can you share about Louisiana with us?
Get your free printable Louisiana worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Louisiana:
1. Little Louisiana board book by Anita C. Prieto
2. Louisiana "Seasons" by Rebecca Ventre
3. I Love You as Big as Louisiana by Rose Rossner
4. Louisiana Animals ABC by Rickey Pittman
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some really cool facts about Maine! Thank you for reading my post!! Don’t forget that "One small positive thought can change your whole day."-Zig Ziglar
Check these free printables out:
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.
Post a Comment