May your day be filled with lots of learning!
Have you ever been to Louisiana? You can discover some cool facts about Louisiana here! Joey loves learning fun cool facts about all of the different states. He would like me to share some of those fun cool facts with you! Every Thursday I will be posting cool facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Kentucky. This week we are posting cool facts about Louisiana.
Did you know that Louisiana was the eighteenth (18th) state to join the union? Yes, that is right! Louisiana officially joined the union on April 30, 1812! Louisiana is located in the Southeastern region of the United States. Louisiana is bordered by three (3) states: Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas. Louisiana is also bordered by the Gulf of Mexico. Louisiana is the thirty-first (31st) largest state in the United States. Louisiana is big state. There are about 4,624,047 people living in Louisiana.
Did you know that Anne Rice was born in Louisiana? Anne Rice is a famous book author. Anne Rice is the author of about 37 published novels.
Do you know any famous people that were born in the state you reside in?
Facts about Louisiana:
1. A few things Louisiana is known for are: the Mardi Gras, Cajun and Creole cultures, and jazz music. A few of the nicknames for the state of Louisiana are: The Pelican State, the Bayou State, and the Creole State. The Louisiana state motto is Union, Justice and Confidence. The Louisiana state motto was adopted sometime in 1902. The abbreviation for Louisiana is LA.
2. The capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge officially became the capital of Louisiana sometime in 1849. Baton Rouge has an estimated population of around 227,470 people.
3. The Louisiana state bird is the Brown pelican. The Brown pelican was chosen as the state bird for Louisiana on July 27, 1966. The Louisiana Brown pelican is a beautiful brown-grayish color with a white neck and a creamy yellowish colored head area. The Brown pelican has a very long beak/bill.
4. The Louisiana official state flower is the Magnolia. The Magnolia is a perennial flowering tree/shrub that can be found growing throughout the state of Louisiana. The Magnolia starts to bloom in the months of March and April. The Magnolia is a very beautiful tree flower. The Louisiana Magnolia became Louisiana’s official state flower in 1900.
5. Louisiana’s state flag was officially adopted on July 1, 1912. Louisiana’s state flag has a blue background. The state seal of Louisiana appears on the blue background. There is a pelican feeding her baby birds in a nest. The state motto Union, Justice and Confidence appears on the flag in a ribbon underneath the nest.
6. Some crops that are grown in Louisiana are: cotton, sugar cane, rice, corn, sweet potatoes, and soybean.
7. Some cool places to visit while in Louisiana are: the Mardi Gras World located in New Orleans, Louisiana, Houmas House and Gardens located in Darrow, LA, and the Grand Isle State Park located in Jefferson Parish, L.A.
8. Some animals that live in Louisiana are: alligators, catfish, deer, foxes, squirrels, otter, wolves, and turtles.
9. Louisiana can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Louisiana was 114 degrees Fahrenheit in Plain Dealing, Louisiana on August 10, 1936. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Louisiana was -16 degrees (16 degrees below zero) Fahrenheit in Minden, Louisiana on January 19, 1994.
What cool facts can you share about Louisiana with us?
Get your free printable Louisiana worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Louisiana:
1. Little Louisiana board book by Anita C. Prieto
2. Louisiana "Seasons" by Rebecca Ventre
3. I Love You as Big as Louisiana by Rose Rossner
4. Louisiana Animals ABC by Rickey Pittman
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some really cool facts about Maine! Thank you for reading my post!! Don’t forget that "One small positive thought can change your whole day."-Zig Ziglar
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out! They are free. I have some awesome coloring pages and worksheets that you can print out! 4th of July printables now available.
Join my Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun
Follow me on Instagram
Like and follow my author page
If you are an author and would like to feature your book on my website, please check out my feature book section here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
I’m the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. My 15-year-old daughter illustrated them and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. All four of them are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million. Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the story is super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books!
1. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
2. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
3. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
4. JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO