Hello, good day to you!
Are you ready to learn some cool facts?
Have you ever took a vacation to Michigan before? Maybe you live there? Whichever it may be, you can discover some cool facts about Michigan here! Joey and Jinger love to learn cool facts about all of the different states. They would like me to share some of those cool facts with you! Every Thursday I will be posting cool facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical order! Last week we posted facts about Massachusetts. This week we are posting cool facts about Michigan. Only 28 more states to go! Yippie!
Did you know that Michigan was the twenty-sixth (26th) state to join the union? Yes, that is correct! Michigan officially joined the union on January 26, 1837! Michigan is located in the upper Midwestern region of the United States. Michigan is bordered by three (3) states: Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio. Parts of Michigan’s borders touch four of the great lakes: Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, and Lake Huron. Michigan is the eleventh (11th) largest state in the United States. Michigan is one of the bigger states. There are about 10,050,811 people that live in Michigan.
Michigan famous person alert:
Did you know that Elijah J. McCoy lived in Detroit, Michigan? Elijah J. McCoy is a famous inventor of train lubrication systems. Elijah J. McCoy was an engineer and a very brilliant man that transformed the railroad system.
Tell us about a famous person that resides in your state?
Facts about Michigan:
1. A few things Michigan is known for are: The stunning great lakes, the automobile industry, and fishing. A few of the nicknames for the state of Michigan are: the Great Lake State, the Wolverine State, and the Water Winter Wonderland State. The Michigan state motto is Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice. The motto is a Latin phrase that means If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you. The Michigan state motto was adopted on June 2, 1835. The abbreviation for Michigan is MI.
2. The capital of Michigan is Lansing. Lansing officially became the capital of Michigan sometime in 1847. Lansing has an estimated population of about 117,488 people.
3. The state bird of Michigan is the American Robin. The American Robin was chosen as the state bird for Michigan on April 8, 1931. The American Robin likes to sing (chirp). The American Robin has a reddish-orange colored chest area. The rest of the bird is a dark grayish brown in color with a dark brown-grayish capped head. It is a very beautiful bird.
4. The Michigan official state flower is the Apple blossom. Apple blossoms bloom on apple trees. The Apple blossoms are white and pink in coloring. The flowers are beautiful! The Apple blossom became Michigan’s official state flower sometime in 1897. The Apple blossoms bloom from April to June.
5. Michigan’s current state flag was officially adopted in 1911. Michigan’s state flag has a dark blue background and features Michigan’s coat of arms on it.
6. Some crops that are grown in Michigan are: apples, corn, cranberries, hay, potatoes, and wheat.
7. Some cool places to visit while in Michigan are: Mackinac Island, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, and the John Ball Zoo located in Grand Rapids, MI.
8. Some animals that live in Michigan are: black bears, bobcats, elk, long tailed weasels, river otter, and white-tailed deer.
9. Michigan can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Michigan was 112 degrees Fahrenheit in Stanwood, Michigan on July 13, 1936. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Michigan was -51 degrees (51 degrees below zero) Fahrenheit in Vanderbilt, Michigan on February 9, 1934.
Share a cool fact about Michigan with us?
Get your free printable Michigan worksheet here:
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about Michigan:
1. The Legend of Michigan by Trinka Noble
2. What's Great about Michigan? by Anita Yasuda
3. Totally Michigan! by Peg Connery-Boyd
4. M Is For Mitten: A Michigan Alphabet by Annie Appleford
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some really cool facts about Minnesota! Thank you for reading my post!! “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined.”-Dr. Suess
Joey Saves The Day Facebook group:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book here:
Mimi is the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series and other titles. She loves learning, reading, drawing, and writing. She is a homeschool mother of two children and she has two adult children that have already left the nest. Her beautiful and brilliant 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. Her daughter started illustrating the series when she was just 14 years old. Her daughter loves to draw and is learning as she goes. Her daughter’s dream is to one day become a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help Mimi make her daughter’s dreams a reality!
Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The stories and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face. The books will spark your child’s imagination, and they will be delighted as you read to them. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. Plus, the books are a great source of learning and an easy way to teach your child how to read. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All six of Mimi’s books are available on Amazon and most other places books are sold.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun; the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.
Where, Oh, Where, Could My Dinosaur Be?
A little boy misplaces his stuffed dinosaur and needs your help to find it. Join the little boy on his hunt through his house to find his missing dinosaur. This book will stimulate your child's imagination. It will help teach them left and right learning and basic rhyming.