Good day to you!
Are you ready to learn some facts?
Have you ever gone on a vacation to South Carolina before? Maybe you already live there? Whichever it may be, you can learn some cool facts about South Carolina right here; just continue to read. Joey and Jinger love learning quick facts about each of the different states in the United States. They would like me to share some of those very cool facts with you! Every Thursday, I will be posting quick facts about each of the fifty states in the United States. The states will be done in alphabetical (ABC) order! Last week we posted facts about Rhode Island. This week we are posting cool facts about South Carolina. The countdown is on, only ten (10) more states to blog about! Just ten more weeks to go… Yippie!!
Did you know that South Carolina was the eighth (8th) state to join the union? Yep, that is correct! South Carolina officially joined the union on May 23, 1788! South Carolina is the one of the original thirteen colonies. South Carolina is located in the Southeastern region of the United States. South Carolina is bordered by two (2) states: North Carolina and Georgia. South Carolina also shares a border with the Atlantic Ocean. South Carolina is the fortieth (40th) largest state in the United States. That means South Carolina is one of the smaller states in the United States of America. There are about 5,190,706 people that live in the state of South Carolina. That is a lot of people!
South Carolina famous person alert:
Did you know that George Washington Murray was born in Sumter County, South Carolina? George Washington Murray was a teacher, farmer, inventor, and politician/congressman.
To learn more about George Washington Murray: CLICK HERE
Be sure to get your parent/caretaker’s permission before clicking on any links.
Share a fact about the state you live in?
Quick Facts about South Carolina:
1. A few things South Carolina is known for are: the beautiful sandy beaches, the very first state to secede from the union, and sweet tea. A few of the nicknames for the state of South Carolina are: the Palmetto State, the Swamp State, and the Rice State. The South Carolina state motto is “Hope”. The South Carolina state motto was adopted sometime in 1664. The abbreviation for South Carolina is SC.
2. The capital of South Carolina is Columbia. Columbia officially became the capital of South Carolina in 1786. Columbia has an estimated population of about 137,542 people.
3. The state bird for South Carolina is the Carolina Wren. The South Carolina Wren is a beautiful little bird. The South Carolina Wren was chosen as the state bird for South Carolina in 1948. You can look at pictures and read more about the South Carolina Wren here: CLICK HERE
Remember to ask your parent/caretaker’s permission before clicking on any links!
4. The South Carolina official state flower is the Yellow Jessamine. The Yellow Jessamine sprouts on a climbing vine plant that can be found growing throughout the state of South Carolina. The Yellow Jessamine starts blooming during the spring months. They are very beautiful yellow flowers!! The South Carolina Yellow Jessamine became the official state flower on February 1, 1924.
5. South Carolina’s current state flag was officially adopted in 1861. South Carolina’s state flag has a blue background with a white palmetto tree and a crescent moon on it.
6. Some crops that are grown in South Carolina are: broccoli, cotton, hay, peaches, peanuts, and wheat.
7. Some cool places to visit while in South Carolina are: Myrtle Beach, the Charleston Museum, and Hilton Head Island.
8. Some animals that live in South Carolina are: bottlenose dolphins, coyotes, squirrels, river otters, and wild turkeys.
9. South Carolina can get very hot and very cold depending on the time of year. The hottest temperature ever recorded in South Carolina was 113 degrees Fahrenheit in Columbia, South Carolina on June 29, 2012. The coldest temperature ever recorded in South Carolina was -19 degrees (19 degrees below zero) Fahrenheit in Caesars Head, South Carolina on January 21, 1985.
Share a cool fact about South Carolina with us?
Get your free printable South Carolina worksheet here:
Click link below to print out your free worksheet
Visit my printables section for a wide selection of worksheets and coloring sheets!
Books about South Carolina:
1. South Carolina by Emily Rose Oachs
2. Hey Kids! Let's Visit Charleston South Carolina by Teresa Mills
3. Santa's Sleigh Is on Its Way to South Carolina by Eric James
4. North Carolina by Bold Kids
Parents/caretakers be sure books are child friendly before reading them to your child/children.
Tune in next week to learn some cool facts about South Dakota! Thank you for reading my blog post!! "Learning never exhausts the mind." —Leonardo da Vinci
I have made a variety of printables for you. Check them out here:
Join the Joey Saves The Day group on Facebook for giveaways, learning, and fun:
Follow me on Instagram:
Like and follow my author page:
Feature your book on my website here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel:
I'm Mimi, the author of the JOEY SAVES THE DAY! book series. I love reading and writing. I homeschool my two youngest children. My 16-year-old daughter illustrated the books and will illustrate all the rest of them in the series. She started illustrating the series when she was 14 years old. She loves to draw. She is learning as she goes. Her dream is to one day be a famous illustrator and a fantasy book writer. Help me make my daughter’s dreams a reality! Children and adults everywhere will love these books. The story and illustrations within the pages of the books will put a big smile on your face and your child will be delighted as you read them the books. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are super cute. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to own this collection of adorable books! All five of the books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target, Walmart, and Books A Million.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT DAYCARE
Delilah doesn't want to stay at daycare. So, Joey helps his friend Delilah feel happy by doing silly things to make her laugh at daycare. They have so much fun the day is over in a flash!
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! AT MEMAW’S
Joey helps his Memaw find something she is missing and its right there in plain sight. Some of us have done this before! Join Joey in this funny and cute quest to find his Memaw's eyeglasses.
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! THE MISSING TEDDY BEAR
Joey helps his sister find her missing teddy bear. They look everywhere. I bet you can't guess where Joey and Jinger find the missing teddy bear?
JOEY SAVES THE DAY! LOST AT THE ZOO
Joey 's father gets lost while they are visiting the seven continents at the zoo. Come on this adorable adventure with Joey and his family as they visit each of the seven continents at the zoo!
Santa's Rainbow Reindeer
Join Harry and Holly Jingles as they introduce us to Santa's Rainbow Reindeer. Learn about them one by one. The Rainbow Reindeer help your children get ready for bed so Santa can bring them gifts when they are all tucked in their bed and sound asleep. This book is interactive.